Fish-in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stability is compatible with Prime, but you will end up needing to double does sometimes since you need to keep up the bacteria.

Also, remember, Prime will take care of some of that ammonia... and leave it for the bacteria to eat. It binds it.

Do not stress.
So no water change anymore? I've been doing it daily.

I am beyond stressed lol. I just want my fish to be happy and healthy.

So no water change anymore? I've been doing it daily.

I am beyond stressed lol. I just want my fish to be happy and healthy.

So with Stability, you can chose to dose with prime, or just redose with stability after a water change. You can do either one. It is way more flexible than many competitors... just remember to shake first. Oh, and you can never over dose Stability, so don't be concerned about that.

Less stress. Happy fish. Less stress. Happy fish. Repeat.

So with Stability, you can chose to dose with prime, or just redose with stability after a water change. You can do either one. It is way more flexible than many competitors... just remember to shake first. Oh, and you can never over dose Stability, so don't be concerned about that.

Less stress. Happy fish. Less stress. Happy fish. Repeat.
Stability is a water conditioner? I was under the assumption that I use prime for conditioning and stability is just a bacteria additive. And also, should I do water changes with stability? I've been doing them daily 25% to dilute the annomia.

Well last night I dosed the tank with stability. It increased the annomia and nitrites, which was expected. I had to do a 50% water change because they were too high. So I did that, added more stability and also added some aquarium salt for their health. One of my platys doesn't look so well so that's why I added the salt. I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks for everyone's help.

Stability is a water conditioner? I was under the assumption that I use prime for conditioning and stability is just a bacteria additive. And also, should I do water changes with stability? I've been doing them daily 25% to dilute the annomia.

Stability is not a water conditioner. It helps bring in bacteria to fight the ammonia though.

Yes, go ahead and keep doing water changes.

Well last night I dosed the tank with stability. It increased the annomia and nitrites, which was expected. I had to do a 50% water change because they were too high. So I did that, added more stability and also added some aquarium salt for their health. One of my platys doesn't look so well so that's why I added the salt. I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks for everyone's help.

Perfect.

:fish1::thanks:

I'm not sure why your taking water out every day. If you stop it will balance out naturally.
If this were not a fish-in cycle, that would be true. Besides, the bacteria aren't in the water. They are on surfaces, the substrate, and in the filter.

Keep breathing! You'll get there!

I'm not sure why your taking water out every day. If you stop it will balance out naturally.
Because I have a fish in cycle. The annomia and nitrite levels are so high it can kill them. I have to do a water change when the levels are too high.

If this were not a fish-in cycle, that would be true. Besides, the bacteria aren't in the water. They are on surfaces, the substrate, and in the filter.

Keep breathing! You'll get there!
Yes. I haven't been gravel vaccuming everytime I do a WC. I just do that once a week and I've been trying to do it lightly.

Update: I just tested the parameters. The ammonia decreased to 1.0 and the nitrites increased to about 2.0. So that's good! Making progress with this cycle. I think the stability helped to kickstart the cycle

Update:
I'm about to do a WC because of the nitrites. Stability seems to be helping. Lost a fish though. I think they have swim bladder.
View attachment 291462

I'd check your reagents. The PH test is not a normal color which could mean that the other chemicals are not giving you an accurate reading as well.:huh:

Edit: I just looked at the pic again. Are you using the high range PH test? if so, try using the regular one to confirm the higher reading first. (y)

I'd check your reagents. The PH test is not a normal color which could mean that the other chemicals are not giving you an accurate reading as well.:huh:

Edit: I just looked at the pic again. Are you using the high range PH test? if so, try using the regular one to confirm the higher reading first. (y)
I have a high pH. I always test pH first. I have a high pH. Even my strips say that. I think my other chemicals are good. It seems like the cycle is going. Maybe the picture sucks. The annomia decreased a lot and the nitrites are high. I thought that was an improvement.

I have a high pH. I always test pH first. I have a high pH. Even my strips say that. I think my other chemicals are good. It seems like the cycle is going. Maybe the picture sucks. The annomia decreased a lot and the nitrites are high. I thought that was an improvement.
Yes, I noticed the high ph after I made my previous post so I entered the EDIT. ;) Most people with freshwater tanks shouldn't really be needing the high PH test as most fish ( sans certain African Cichlids) don't need that high a PH.
Here is a link to facts about the bacteria you are trying to create. Nitrifying Bacteria Facts
Some of your parameters may have been the cause for the delays or confusions. Read through the article to see if maybe you are doing something counterproductive to what you are trying to achieve. It does sound like your cycle is on it's way but just like any living thing, it can die so you want to make sure that the bacteria you are adding to the tank have a suitable environment to survive. (y)

Yes, I noticed the high ph after I made my previous post so I entered the EDIT. ;) Most people with freshwater tanks shouldn't really be needing the high PH test as most fish ( sans certain African Cichlids) don't need that high a PH.
Here is a link to facts about the bacteria you are trying to create. Nitrifying Bacteria Facts
Some of your parameters may have been the cause for the delays or confusions. Read through the article to see if maybe you are doing something counterproductive to what you are trying to achieve. It does sound like your cycle is on it's way but just like any living thing, it can die so you want to make sure that the bacteria you are adding to the tank have a suitable environment to survive. (y)
My source water has a high pH

Then you may need to do some things to it to alter that. Just make sure you test it after it de-gasses. (y)
I was told by multiple people on here that it's okay as long as I introduce my fish to the tank properly. I don't want to dose my tank with chemicals to drop the pH. I have driftwood in there as well. If I get my pH down in the tank, then add my source water with a high pH. Won't it shock the fish?

I was told by multiple people on here that it's okay as long as I introduce my fish to the tank properly. I don't want to dose my tank with chemicals to drop the pH. I have driftwood in there as well. If I get my pH down in the tank, then add my source water with a high pH. Won't it shock the fish?
It's going to depend on what fish you are adding. Some will not handle that high a PH while others will. As for adding the different waters, when you do your water changes, by doing smaller ones more often you should not be altering the water that much. One way of being even more careful is to use a separate container for your new water and mix it with the tank water( after you have removed what you are going to remove) and then add it back to the tank. This way, there is even less difference you are adding back in. For example: if your tank was at 7.6 and your new water was at 8.4, combining equal amounts of both waters should get you about 8.0. 8.0 is not as far from 7.6 as 8.4 is. (y)
Again, this may not be necessary if you are choosing the right fish for the conditions but if you want to open your choices more, as you read in the article about the bacteria, the more moderate the PH the better off for you bacteria and subsequently your fish too.

Back
Top Bottom