Fish-In Cycling Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phillyfan33

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all!

I just started up a 38 gallon tank on Friday (April 25th). I filled it with water from my house and then put in the CaribSea aragonite sand I purchased afterwards. I also installed the heater into the tank, so the temperature is about 77-78 degrees right now. It is pretty much cleared up now, so I am ready to put fish in, but I know I need to have the tank cycled.

With that being said, I was wondering if anyone could give advice or a list of steps I need to do by taking the "Fish-In" cycle. I really think I am going to stock with a few cichlids (Reason for setting the temperature at tropical fish temperature), but do not know which ones yet specifically. I also know I need to de-chlorinate the water so what is the best product/brand to use?

I have an established 10 gallon gold fish tank my dad and sister have set up, but not much is done to it so I do not know if it healthy water or whatever, I just know it is about 6 months old. Any advice given is much appreciated so I could get my tank rolling!

Thank you!

Hey all!

I just started up a 38 gallon tank on Friday (April 25th). I filled it with water from my house and then put in the CaribSea aragonite sand I purchased afterwards. I also installed the heater into the tank, so the temperature is about 77-78 degrees right now. It is pretty much cleared up now, so I am ready to put fish in, but I know I need to have the tank cycled.

With that being said, I was wondering if anyone could give advice or a list of steps I need to do by taking the "Fish-In" cycle. I really think I am going to stock with a few cichlids (Reason for setting the temperature at tropical fish temperature), but do not know which ones yet specifically. I also know I need to de-chlorinate the water so what is the best product/brand to use?

I have an established 10 gallon gold fish tank my dad and sister have set up, but not much is done to it so I do not know if it healthy water or whatever, I just know it is about 6 months old. Any advice given is much appreciated so I could get my tank rolling!

Thank you!

Hi Andy, welcome to AA.

Firstly, I'd start by saying that the 10 gallon your dad and sister have started isn't considered big enough to house goldfish by users on this forum. They need much bigger tanks. For further support on goldfish requirements and tank sizes you can post questions in the cold water section.

As for the 38 gallon, this would also be considered too small for most cichlids. Unless you stick to the smaller species such as blue rams and dwarf cichlids.

The key to a fish in cycle is the fish you choose to cycle, the number of fish you place in the tank and the length of time between stocking your next batch. Over feeding is also one if the reasons that fish in cycles fail.

The good news is is that you can take a piece of the goldfish sponge or biomedia and place it in the 38 to dramatically speed up the cycling process.

You will need to purchase an API master test kit for freshwater or equivalent liquid test kit and test your water for ammonia every other day. When ammonia exceeds 0.5ppm you should change 25% of the water however, if the fish in cycle is done correctly then ammonia should not go past this point.

You should choose a hardy species to start the cycle such as zebra danios, harlequin rasbora or swordtail but in my opinion, the fish you choose should remain in your full stocking plan.

Add 4 danios or harlequins and wait for 2 weeks before adding another 4. This species like to be in schools so the more the better to help them feel secure. Feeding should be kept to a minimum. Once a day and very light. 1 small flake per danio. The cycle will only complete after you add your last fish but if done sensibly you will not have to worry to much about how long the cycle takes.

As for dechlorinator I use aqua plus by tetra.

Good luck

Hi and welcome!
These guides may help:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Prime is one of the best dechlorinators; most fish stores sell it or you can buy it online

I would research Cichlids before buying them as some are too small for a 38 and certain species are not compatible with another. I would recommend a fishless cycle so that you have time to research the fish that are suitable for the tank; also CIchlids are pretty sensitive so I wouldn't do a fish-in cycle with them anyway. The "Guide to starting an aquarium" link above has info on fishless cycling.

Also, FYI, a 10 gal is way too small for a goldfish. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html
You may want to peruse the Coldwater forum on here for some tips too: Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

The goldfish is only two inches long and seems to be doing fine for past 6 months. Thank you for the advice though guys, really appreciate it and taking a lot of that into consideration.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The goldfish is only two inches long and seems to be doing fine for past 6 months. Thank you for the advice though guys, really appreciate it and taking a lot of that into consideration.

Visit the goldfish section and have a look at the top article. You will see how big goldfish grow. It will outgrow it's tank in no time.

You're welcome

Havent seen a goldfish from a festival get bigger than 4 inches

Back
Top Bottom