Fish in cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PWC advice

Looking for advice on my PWC. Our house has softened water so therefore I assume that I cannot use that water in the tank. The only unsoftened water is the cold tap. It is about 68 degress. The tank is 78 degress and has a heater in it. Can I safely add the 68 degree water to the tank without affecting the fish? If so what would be the maximum water change I could do that way? I am not sure if I could mix in some hot water but it would be softened. I have a python for filling and draining the tank as the unsoftened water faucet is one floor down. Should i have water at room temperature to do this? Not sure how I would have 10 - 15 gallons of water to do it. I have a 29 gallon tank. So what is the correct way for me to do a PWC?

Yes a 10 degree change isn't too big of a deal. I've used 10-15 degree cooler water to induce spawning in corys. I'd probably only do 25-40% of a wc at a time. But ultimately just keep an eye on the fish and it'll give you an idea if you are changing things up too much.

OK, starting to see ammonia and nitrites. No nitrates yet. Ammnonia is between .25 and .5 and nitrites are at .25. I do a 40% pwc and I still see ammonia at .25. Should I be changing more water? I usually wait till about .5 and then do a pwc

Sounds like the routine you are going with now is working, as long as the fish don't seem stressed I'd just stick with it. Ammonia toxicity varies with tank temp and pH so there is a little wiggle room there.

Back
Top Bottom