Fish or non fish cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how much work do you want to do? fish in cycles require vigorous testing and water changes. fishless you only have to do one large water change at the end, and usually takes longer to do a fish in cycle. unless you transfer over the media then it will just go through a "mini cycle"

how much work do you want to do? fish in cycles require vigorous testing and water changes. fishless you only have to do one large water change at the end, and usually takes longer to do a fish in cycle. unless you transfer over the media then it will just go through a "mini cycle"

Not a lot. I was looking more to do a fishless cycle but I heard it can take a long time doing that kind of cycle.

Why go through all the work of a complete cycle? You are upgrading right? So you should have a new filter - use used filter media to establish your new filter or run the new filter on the old tank to establish it, and skip the cycling.

Why go through all the work of a complete cycle? You are upgrading right? So you should have a new filter - use used filter media to establish your new filter or run the new filter on the old tank to establish it, and skip the cycling.

Okay so im adding a cascade 1000 and then I just put my old filter on the new tank then right?

Okay so im adding a cascade 1000 and then I just put my old filter on the new tank then right?

yup that will work, though it might go through a "mini cycle" you will have to test the levels daily and do water changes as needed for about a week. after 4-6 weeks you can take your old filter off

Hello Cich...

A "fish-in" cycle is efficient and if you use hardy fish and some floating plants, the procedure isn't too demanding on you or the fish. I cycled a 55 G in about a month with some Guppies and filled the tank with Ancharis (Common water weed) and Water Sprite. The fish and plants passed with flying colors.

Your choice.

B

Just use your old filter, run it on your tank with the filter you want and then take off whatever filter(s) that you don't want. You really only (or mostly) cycle a filter, not so much the tank, because most of the bb live in the filter.

Edit: Oh, and when you have the filter on the tank you need a source of ammonia, so fish food or fish or raw shrimp (the kind you eat, as in cocktail) or pure ammonia. If there's no fish, than make sure the ammonia is pretty high, over 3 ppm if possible. At least 1 ppm is recommended.

Back
Top Bottom