Fish recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmckinniss

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a 55 gal freshwater that's just completed a fish-in cycle. 3 Platies & 3 swordtails currently. I'm taking recommendations for the next fish to be added. Ideas?

What fish interest you? In that tank you could do 2 angelfish. A dwarf or honey gourami. An albino or regular bristlenose pleco as they stay small and are suitable for that size tank. A school or two of tetra's or rasbora's. Community tetra's that tend not to be nippy would be cardinals, rummy nose, glowlight, lemon, diamonds, or you could go bigger and make a bold statement of a school of Congo tetras. Any tetra or rasbora school should be a minimum of 6. A nice group of at least 6 Cory cats would also make nice bottom fish. You could do 6 rainbowfish (2 males, 4 females). Or if you want to go small Threadfin rainbowfish are awesome. Do some reseach into all these and others and see which ones interest you. Try to pick fish with different body shapes and different colors to add interest to your tank. Take your time and choose what you like to look at.

This is really helpful, Rivercats. I was thinking Cory's as a next step and then branching out into something a bit larger & different shape.

Actually GBR's shouldn't be added to a new tank less than about 6 months old. Bolivian Rams on the other hand are much hardier and can be added to a new tank. Both species of rams are sensitive to nitrates so large weekly WC's are highly recommended.

Actually GBR's shouldn't be added to a new tank less than about 6 months old. Bolivian Rams on the other hand are much hardier and can be added to a new tank. Both species of rams are sensitive to nitrates so large weekly WC's are highly recommended.

Thanks RC i forgot to mention that.....

Good advice, all. I hadn't thought of Bolivian Rams, but those are beautiful fish. I'll have to read up on them.

Back
Top Bottom