Fish rubbing against gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've noticed lately that several of my fish are rubbing against gravel. As I understand, external parasites are the reason for this type of behavior. I have several items that might help cure the fish, but would like your opinion about what is the best.
Here is the list of that I have or can get in my LFS:
Aquari-Sol
Quick-Cure
Malachite Green
Formalin-3
Melafix
Cupramine
Methylene Blue

If you tried any of these items, could you share your feedback about effectiveness? And, how did you use them (dozage, days of threatment, etc...)

newhobbist said:
I've noticed lately that several of my fish are rubbing against gravel. As I understand, external parasites are the reason for this type of behavior. I have several items that might help cure the fish, but would like your opinion about what is the best.
Here is the list of that I have or can get in my LFS:
Aquari-Sol
Quick-Cure
Malachite Green
Formalin-3
Melafix
Cupramine
Methylene Blue

If you tried any of these items, could you share your feedback about effectiveness? And, how did you use them (dozage, days of threatment, etc...)

Looks to me ICH..

what temp is your tank?

If its 24c lets say it might be early stages. My current battle started that way.

I'm trying the raise temp to 30c meds did not work.

Wait for the salt like look wont be long if it is ich.

Have a thread in unhealthy fish section "darn white spot again" Start a new thread in the unhealthy section u will get a better response.

Good luck

Before deciding on a medicine you need to be somewhat sure of what the illness is. You could add aquarium salt which is good when treating a wide variety of illnesses. You also need to look at them closely and determine if they have any other symptoms. Such as breathing quickly, hanging at the top or bottom of tank,white fuzz, black spots, etc. Also what are your water parameters and when did you last do a water change?

Before deciding on a medicine you need to be somewhat sure of what the illness is. You could add aquarium salt which is good when treating a wide variety of illnesses. You also need to look at them closely and determine if they have any other symptoms. Such as breathing quickly, hanging at the top or bottom of tank,white fuzz, black spots, etc. Also what are your water parameters and when did you last do a water change?
Except "flashing" against the gravel, the fish behavior is normal with no sign of distress. Water parameters:
pH - 6.7
Amonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 20

You also need to look at them closely and determine if they have any other symptoms. Such as breathing quickly, hanging at the top or bottom of tank,white fuzz, black spots, etc.
What are "black spots"? I've never heard about them.

Back
Top Bottom