Fish spitting out food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MageAssassin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What does it mean when my fish put the food in their mouth then spit it back out? Also one of my fish is acting lethargic?

If they are spitting out food immediately after eating, thats just what fish do. They have probably eaten their fill and are just trying to eat, but cant. So they just spit it out.

Regards to lethargic fish, remember that your fish have been living in very high ammonia and you are now doing a lot of water changes trying to correct that and get your tank cycled. Your fish are probably very stressed and suffering from ill health from the conditions they have been living in.

I'm keeping it in good condition but the one fish is still not wanting to live or eat. It's just sitting in one spot. Any ideas on how to help it?

Sorry about your fish but not much to do when they get to this point. Keep up the water changes and see what happens. Good luck.

I moved him to his own tank and he's doing better. I think he was being bullied by the other one. After moving him he is eating and at the bottom now. Going to let him heal then try adding him back to the main tank. His left fin looks like it's been bitten so it needs to heal.

I moved him to his own tank and he's doing better. I think he was being bullied by the other one. After moving him he is eating and at the bottom now. Going to let him heal then try adding him back to the main tank. His left fin looks like it's been bitten so it needs to heal.
Ok so it was probably stressed out from the other fish. What fish are they?

Back
Top Bottom