fish swimming sideways/upside down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crossthreaded

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a fish, the name escapes me right now of the breed. nothing exotic.

he has been swimming upside down and sideways for 1 day now. I saw him last night upside down and checked all the water levels, everything is ok. I did a 30% pwc and added salt, like I usually do.

He is still there now swimming upside down. he will come up to the surface and I can put food right there and he will eat it.

I tried using a pea like some people say, but I wasn't sure exactly what to do with it. I held it down on the bottom right in front of him and I think he ate a bit, but he is still sideways. I did this last night.

any help is appreciated.

oh, 55g tank, whisper 500 filter, 2 corries, 1 pleco, 3 little fish, and 3 of these fish. ****** I wish i could remember their name.

Hard to give advice when we don't know what fish we are dealing with. <I assume that these are not upside down catfish? ;) > Perhaps you can post a picture.

Feeding peas is a good place to start. You would blanch the peas <put in boiling water for a minute, or microwave in some water for 1/2 to 1 min>, then skin the pea (squeeze the inside of the pea out of the skin), chop it up & feed.

From the sound of it (please correct me if I'm wrong), it could be something to do with its swim bladder... Or there could be an air pocket stuck in its digestive tract.
Do you notice if your fish still poops normally?

Only one thing to add that I can think of since we don't know what kind of fish.

When you do your water change and add the salt remember that salt doesn't evaporate like water does. When you add more salt with the fresh water for each PWC you are turning the water to a brackish eco-system and eventually a salt tank. Just not with marine salt.

Some fish are very sensitive to the salt.

i have actually had this happen to one of my fish. the trick is to buy a can of peas. now isolate the fish, in a breathable container inside the aquarium. if u get one of those plastic bowls that float and fill it with water that will work. now to you must peel the pea. the salt is only making things worse so stop with that. after the fish has eaten, one pea per 2 inches of fish. you must sink the fish to increase pressure on it. that will allow the swim bladder to unflate.

Back
Top Bottom