Fish Tank Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellynhopes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We just switched to tropical fish. I am trying to adust the heater. The snail in our tank is trying to adjust as well. Before this, we had a goldfish, who passed away last weekend. I want to keep the water at 78 degrees. The tank is about 6 weeks old with the old filter to help it cycle. The water levels have been monitored closely before we added 3 glofish. Any advice would be appreciated. I keep turning the knob down on the heater.

Welcome to AA!

Have some questions for you...
What type of heater? Wattage? Position relative to the flow of the filter? Is it not warming up or is it too warm? How are the fish? What type of lid? What type of lighting and how long do you leave the lights on (incandescent lights get very hot and can heat up the tank easily)?

A little info on Glofish:
They are genetically modified Zebra Danios and, as such, would prefer to be in a group of five or more. A ten gallon is also a little small for them as they are VERY active fish, they would prefer a 20 gallon long. If you put two more in, to complete the school, your tank would be pretty much stocked full, you could maybe add some shrimp. They are also a cooler water fish and like a temperature between 64f to 76f. That said, they will be ok in the ten gallon so long as you don't add any more fish and you keep up on weekly 50% water changes and regular gravel vacuuming.

Back
Top Bottom