Fish TB: tank salvageable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katana

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sadly my fish came down with tb and have been dying off one by one for a few months. It's down to the last few and I'm probably going to euthanize them since its apparent I can't help them :(
However, the tank they are in is barely a year old and has some nice pieces of drift wood in it.
I read that you can salvage the tank with bleach and alcohol but I've heard the same amount of people saying there is no saving the tank or equipment.
What do you all suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Once, I thought that my Betta had TD. To be honest, I have no idea what he has yet he is still alive and kicking.

Back to your question; like you, I read about many possible conditions he could've had and I remember reading that there is only one product that can truly disinfect and is the purest chlorine sold for pools. Now I do not remember with certainty whether TD survives the common bleach, but I wouldn't trust keeping porous items, like driftwood, rocks, etc.

So, if you really want to disinfect, go for that pure chlorine for pools and salvage only those items that you feel would entirely get cleaned with your solution.

Thanks for your advice! I hoped I could save the wood but it makes sense that it would be impossible to clean.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe someone else can suggest something else and I learn for that advise too. ;-)

Haha! We can all learn something today :D

I never understand the people that say "It can never be cleaned" It's a ridiculous statement and minus certain super extreme circumstances it's 100% false.

First - Bleach. Anything non porous will be completely cleaned by bleach. Tank, silicone, plastic decor, filters, etc.

Second - Anything porous you can either bake or boil. Don't bake wood higher than around 230 degrees Fahrenheit. Don't boil rocks as they can potentially explode making a huge and potentially dangerous mess. If you can start a fire outside with them in it then that's good. Otherwise just bake them.

Thanks for the info! I would love to save my tank and the driftwood if that is possible! Thankfully no rocks are in there :)
So bleach works? I should be able to pick that up tonight. And chlorine too?

Katanas - because swords are awesome! (Even swordtails!)

I just called a local fish store who I trust very well about saving the tank.
He said I turn the heat up 87 plus. Dump 3-4 cups of salt in it, and let it run for a week or so.
This is all without fish of course lol

I never understand the people that say "It can never be cleaned" It's a ridiculous statement and minus certain super extreme circumstances it's 100% false.

First - Bleach. Anything non porous will be completely cleaned by bleach. Tank, silicone, plastic decor, filters, etc.

I am not sure why you got upset. You just confirmed what I said: anything non-porous can be cleaned with bleach. TB on the other hand may survive regular bleach (from previous research I did), hence why I mentioned about the pure pool bleach. I also mentioned I would not save anything porous because I didn't know how to clean it. So THANK YOU for letting us know how to clean porous items.

See? We learned something. Remember this is a forum for helping and not taking away credit from others as the information provided here is from fellow fish keepers. From all we know, baking and boiling is something you made up. It is up to the OP to research further.

Have a nice day! ;-)

it is a bacteria and like all bacteria it should be killed by large amounts of bleach and hot water.
No?

I certainly hope I can kill it and keep the tank. It is barely a year old.

I am not sure why you got upset. You just confirmed what I said: anything non-porous can be cleaned with bleach. TB on the other hand may survive regular bleach (from previous research I did), hence why I mentioned about the pure pool bleach. I also mentioned I would not save anything porous because I didn't know how to clean it. So THANK YOU for letting us know how to clean porous items.

See? We learned something. Remember this is a forum for helping and not taking away credit from others as the information provided here is from fellow fish keepers. From all we know, baking and boiling is something you made up. It is up to the OP to research further.

Have a nice day! ;-)

I wasnt angry at all, it just irritates me when people are basically told to theow everything away and start over because equipment cant possibly be cleaned.

While regular human tb can resist the weaker household version of bleach, fish tb is a different bacteria. Common bleach dilution (1/2 cup per gallon of water) is a high enough concentration to kill fish tb. Heck, even just letting the fish tank sit out in the sun is enough to kill off fish tb.

Also, the baking and boiling is definitely something i made up. However, research will tell you that fish tb is extremely susceptible to heat. I merely gave suggestions in ways to apply said heat.

I've read on their forums where people have suggested boiling decor and such, or washing them all in dishwashers on high heat. So I would think that might help the driftwood.

So if I super salt the tank and turn the temperature up as high as my heater can get it (which is surprisingly high!) would that kill it off in a week or so? I probably will let it run for as long as I'm in the apartment (hopefully only a month longer) and don't plan on stocking it again until I move.

I wouldnt rely on heat from an aquarium heater to get it hot enough to kill any bacteria.

If youre using heat i would make sure it hits at least 165f before calling it safe.

With the bacteria tolerating both salt water and fresh, you would have to use a ton of salt. Im not sure any salinity tolerance studies have been done on it so i dont know if it would work at all tbh.

I know my heater can get water above 90, but that's it.
I could dump loads of salt in it and let it run. Then when I move the tank in a month or so, I could air it out in the sun after a bleach cleaning

I know my heater can get water above 90, but that's it.
I could dump loads of salt in it and let it run. Then when I move the tank in a month or so, I could air it out in the sun after a bleach cleaning

It would be easier to run the filter and heater in a bucket of bleach solution overnight. Wipe down the tank with the same bleach solution and let it sit outside.

Thank you so much :) I do appreciate the help. So glad I don't have to trash the tank and equipment

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom