Fish that should NOT be sold... or at least should come with a legal disclaimer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great thread. This is why us experienced and responsible fish and pet keepers need to educate the world. We need to all get together and pull our funds together and get a save the fish association.

I am dead serious, we ought to find out who is close to who and pull our resources together to ave the fish and educate people. I am currently taking a web design class and i can chip in with a free website...:D

one of my friends has like a 200 gal and he keeps a single red tailed cat.it is smaller than those but its huge probbaly 2 to 3 feet .its a beutiful fish though

I had heard some fish get huge, but it did not sink in until I went to the Denver Aquarium last April and saw a few first hand.:eek: The Paco, those cute fish that look like a piranha (probably why they sell so well) were bigger than a dinner plate! Like the picture above. The one that totally shocked me tho was the Red Tailed shark I saw. There was a school of them and they had to be 2.5-3FEET long! Just huge!
:eek2:

then so should Koi Goldfish and pirahna as well as nearly any non native fish then.

Ban all non native fish, that should end all the confusion.

HN1 every fish is invasive outside of its natural habitat, its the story of survival and evolution.

then so should Koi Goldfish and pirahna as well as nearly any non native fish then.

Ban all non native fish, that should end all the confusion.

HN1 every fish is invasive outside of its natural habitat, its the story of survival and evolution.

Actually, that sounds like a story of irresponsible hobbyists that release non-native species because they didn't do their research before buying and thus bit off more than they could chew. It has nothing to do with evolution, speciation, etc.

HN1's post has nothing to do with banning fish. It has everything to do with the ethics of stores selling fish that have no business in the vast majority of hobbyists' tanks, and sadly, how readily available most of these fish are at a lot of shops. In addition, we both believe in educating others because, unfortunately, many hobbyists buy first and ask questions later.

WD-

My point was in fact all about education and what is IMO irresponsible sales practices.

Technically, most of those fish do not meet the NISC definition of an "Invasive species" anyways. It wasn't about banning any fish. It's about responsibility within the hobby.

Good additions though. Koi should definitely not be sold for tanks though they frequently are sold to newbs for tanks as small as 5G. They are pond fish. The same can be said for Comet goldfish unless it's a really large tank.

Pirahna are for the most part illegal to sell anyways.

Getting back to size issue, I think the situation is even worse for marine species. I frequently see tiny juveniles of very large species offered for sale, and often under meaningless (i.e., made up) common names that do not allow the buyer to research what they really are. Even some of the ones with names get way too big for the average home aquarium, e.g.: Coris aygula (twin spot wrasse) to well over 2 feet; Lutjanus sebae to 3 feet; Gnathanodon speciosus (golden trevally) to nearly 4 feet; Cetoscarus bicolor (bicolor parrotfish) to nearly 3 feet. Probably the worst I've seen are the little "bumble bee groupers" (Epinephelus lanceolatus), which can grow to over 8 feet and over 800 lbs.

Tony

WD-

My point was in fact all about education and what is IMO irresponsible sales practices.

Technically, most of those fish do not meet the NISC definition of an "Invasive species" anyways. It wasn't about banning any fish. It's about responsibility within the hobby.

Good additions though. Koi should definitely not be sold for tanks though they frequently are sold to newbs for tanks as small as 5G. They are pond fish. The same can be said for Comet goldfish unless it's a really large tank.

Pirahna are for the most part illegal to sell anyways.
I'm with you brother.:usa

IMO, if stores HAVE to sell these fish, like Paco and such, they should post an info sheet that is actually big enough to notice! Most large stores will have a teeny tiny info sheet with type so small that unless you are looking for it, you wont notice. Like this: Common Pleco adult size to 12" I tend to read them to see what they say and the tiny sticker actually says a Pleco gets 12", a Paco maybe 15". Now, I would say those pics in the posts above beg to differ! :(

As for Goldfish, doesn't the common one get huge?? That is not told anywhere in any store.

Yes, they do get huge, and are better kept as pond fish than in most aquariums.

Why not just create and regularly update a list of freshwater and saltwater animals that are commonly sold in lfs' and online including their scientific and common names for new aquarists along with their estimated adult size (you'll need fishbase for this). It'd be cleaner if the first post by the OP contained the list...might earn you a sticky if you compose it professionally :)

Why not just create and regularly update a list of freshwater and saltwater animals that are commonly sold in lfs' and online including their scientific and common names for new aquarists along with their estimated adult size (you'll need fishbase for this). It'd be cleaner if the first post by the OP contained the list...might earn you a sticky if you compose it professionally :)

The OP was merely trying to spread the word and not earn anything. Nor did I put a whole lot of time into it. I agree that a clean list with scientific names and pictures (they are worth more IMO than any description) would be great. I'd think the Mentors would step up to create the list. Fishbase has it's uses, but google is my friend. ;) Want to collaborate on something you can post?

Ok, had to post this. Found this on craiglist and thought of the horrible condition they are in. They are near my area and am trying to fin out what fish are in the tank so i can take them of there hands and possibly save the fish.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/for/1271651965.html
I should assasinate them like a ninja...:ninja:

The OP was merely trying to spread the word and not earn anything. Nor did I put a whole lot of time into it. I agree that a clean list with scientific names and pictures (they are worth more IMO than any description) would be great. I'd think the Mentors would step up to create the list. Fishbase has it's uses, but google is my friend. ;) Want to collaborate on something you can post?
i volunteer SM.

pacu

I just saw this while browsing the local Craigslist... have to share it. Not just one pacu, but 3. Supposedly these are just one year old.

Several years ago I started a 180 gallon with 1 Osphronemus goramy, 2 Tin Foil Barbs, 4 Green Severums and 2 Pacu. The 2 Pacu out grew every thing else X2. IMO 6 to 8 inches in one year is not unbelievable.

I'd be happy to help out with sort of thing - at least in checking information generated by others. I am a fish taxonomist by trade, so have access to a lot of helpful literature.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom