Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you guys think of this?

I moved the DW w/ the huge Java Fern and moss to the corner, which opens up my tank more. I was thinking of putting Blyxa in front of it, with the AR 'rosaefolia' to its left. This should allow more room for plants as well.

What do you guys think of this?
I moved the DW w/ the huge Java Fern and moss to the corner, which opens up my tank more. I was thinking of putting Blyxa in front of it, with the AR 'rosaefolia' to its left. This should allow more room for plants as well.

I like it. Fills the corner and provides a canopy without too much shade. The Blyxa should fine under there (may even slow down its growth rate a bit).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like it. Fills the corner and provides a canopy without too much shade. The Blyxa should fine under there (may even slow down its growth rate a bit).

That's what I ended up going with, and thanks! The tank looks so much better now!

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon High-Tech Tank

Update:

EI dosing has been started. I did a bit of rescaping, and moved the DW w/ Java Fern and moss to the corner. That is now the dark area of the tank, and the Honey Dwarf Gouramis and Kuhli Loaches are digging it! The nasty Hygro has been removed, plus I have room for one more midground plant (probably AR 'mini'). Here are some pics:

FTS:

I'm going to a job site right down the street from an lfs. If I end my day there I will see if they have any kuhlies. Still have not added to my poor single guy because I can't find any :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm going to a job site right down the street from an lfs. If I end my day there I will see if they have any kuhlies. Still have not added to my poor single guy because I can't find any :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can never find any at my LFS. I had to drive 2 hours to get some when I got them.

Is that a rare shot of the kuhli because you hardly see them or because you have few pics of them?
Still debating on kuhlis or Pygmy cories in my 20L. I'm thinking the latter (with their midwater shocking behavior) will draw the embers and cpds out from the forest.

Is that a rare shot of the kuhli because you hardly see them or because you have few pics of them?
Still debating on kuhlis or Pygmy cories in my 20L. I'm thinking the latter (with their midwater shocking behavior) will draw the embers and cpds out from the forest.

It's mainly because I have few chances to take pictures of them as they are usually in some type of foliage or under driftwood in the day. Whenever I'm taking photos of them, they're usually hiding under the large driftwood piece or "hanging" over the Java Fern. The Kuhlis come out some during the day, but are usually out more at night (it's in their nature to be a night dweller). They are still an incredible fish though, and I like them more than Cory Cats. They seem to be more unique and "odd" in my opinion, and if you get 6 or more, it is interesting to see them interact and play with one another. Your fish seem to be more shy than mine, so maybe the Cories would be a better dither fish.

Update: All of my plants are doing well, except for the Ludwigia repens for some odd reason. The leaves are green and nice looking; although, two of the stems have had their tops melt off. I had been adjusting the CO2 to some extent, so maybe that was a cause. Otherwise, the Dwarf Hairgrass is sending out runners like mad, the AR is turning a solid red, and the Rotala is getting really bushy. I've also noticed decreased amounts of algae over the past couple weeks. All I notice is some algae on the glass, which doesn't really bother me as I clean the glass every week anyway.

I'm going to be picking two of the following plants to add to the tank: AR var. 'Ocipus' or AR 'Variegated', and Proserpinaca Palustris (Mermaid Weed) or Limno. aromatica. I'm going to be adding AR 'mini' to the midground. One of the plants that I listed above will be next to the Rotala rotund. and in front of the AR 'mini', while the other will be in front of DW w/ Anubias nana 'petite' and some Downoi. I'm also thinking of trying a purple buce to attach to the piece of DW that is near the Blyxa.

What I said above isn't going to happen as I've had a change in plans. I'm now planning on replacing the Ludwigia repens with Cyperus helferi, even though it is a nice plant. I'm planning on getting the Cyperus to fill out the corner and to hide the heater, and maybe it will shade the Anubias a little bit. Next to the Cyperus will be some Limnophilia aromatica (I think this plant would greatly contrast the Rotala rotund.).

Update: I've noticed barely any algae besides some on my driftwood and a tiny bit on the glass with the first week of EI dosing. The Rotala rotund. is growing like mad, the AR is getting a deep red color, and the Dwarf Hairgrass is starting to take off. Besides this, here's some update pics:

FTS:

Looking good! I'd skip the ocipus and go with variegated. They're both algae magnets... var. Is the lesser of 2 evils;) pm me if you want either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't know how much shade the c. helferi will provide, but good luck growing it. I have never been able to get mine to flourish.

Don't know how much shade the c. helferi will provide, but good luck growing it. I have never been able to get mine to flourish.

I did have Cyperus at one point, and it became an algae magnet. At that time, though, my tank didn't have good water flow and it wasn't as balanced. I also found that it shouldn't be moved.

Now you tell me... I just moved mine this weekend. It was too close to the filter!

Now you tell me... I just moved mine this weekend. It was too close to the filter!

Maybe wait a couple months to see how it does. I'd let it be and you can spot dose excel or hydrogen peroxide if needed to help combat with any algae that appears on it.

Back
Top Bottom