Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking about putting something different by the driftwood. Maybe something that can contrast the Java Fern well. What plant would you guys suggest?

New bulbs have been ordered, as well as a new background, thermometer (outside the tank), and the Hydor 240. After everything is set, all I have to do is add more plants.

I'm thinking about putting something different by the driftwood. Maybe something that can contrast the Java Fern well. What plant would you guys suggest?

Are you talking about the space in the corner next to the Java Fern? Something red such as AR, ludwidia sp red, Rotala macrandra would contrast color wise. Or a green stem plant with small leaves to contrast shape wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you talking about the space in the corner next to the Java Fern? Something red such as AR, ludwidia sp red, Rotala macrandra would contrast color wise. Or a green stem plant with small leaves to contrast shape wise.

Yes, I am. I'm going to put AR in the middle of the background, but a red plant would be nice to have in that corner. It seems like everyone is having success with Ludwigia sp. red. That might be a viable option. I was also thinking of Bacopa caroliniana, Ludwigia 'Cuba', and Limnophilia aromatica as other options too.

Odd news guys: I just changed out my T5 bulbs for better bulbs (brighter and nicer looking--pics to come later), and when I was putting my fixture on the tank, I spotted something weird in the corner of my eye. I looked on the floor, and lo and behold, one of my Panda Garra Loaches was on the floor all dried up! It must of jumped out my tank during the previous night or today.

Don't beat yourself up.. my lfs will sell them as algae eaters while they're in fact pretty picky.. they like cooler, highly oxygenated fast flowing setups..
He probably had a dream he was back in the river and a grain of sand hit em right in the butt...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't beat yourself up.. my lfs will sell them as algae eaters while they're in fact pretty picky.. they like cooler, highly oxygenated fast flowing setups..
He probably had a dream he was back in the river and a grain of sand hit em right in the butt...

Haha! One time I had a crayfish that managed to escape from the tank and make his way into the kitchen. I guess he wanted to be served with butter. ?

Update pics:

I added a new background (ignore the air bubbles...plants will be in front of them soon), a small powerhead, and new bulbs for the T5 HO fixture. I have some BBA issues right now, but that should be fixed soon.

FTS:

Next, I'll be adding more plants (some that will be red). AR, Ludwigia repens "Rubin" (a.k.a. Ludwigia sp. "Red"), Dwarf Hairgrass, Downoi, AR mini, Limno aromatica (if room permits), Echindorus "Vesuvius" (to replace the Cyperus), and S. repens.

I think ludwigia super red is a different plant from repens rubin

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon High-Tech Tank

I think ludwigia super red is a different plant from repens rubin

If they are, they look similar to one another, I believe. I guess it doesn't matter which one I get.

Update:

I got some new tissue culture plants! AR 'cardinalis', Downoi, and Staurogyne repens. Here are some pics:

Sorry about the photo quality. I took some quick pics. For anyone who has had these plants as tissue cultures, how long does it take for them to adjust to tank conditions and form new growth/shed off old growth?

It really depends on the culture. My stars took almost a year to hit the stride.. downoi was fast, I've had mixed luck with the ar but when it did grow it took right off.

as far as the star repens in my tank some melted and some didn't. It was all from the same package.

The Stars took at least 2-3 months to get to full size to the point where I could easily trim and replant some of them. By month 6 I pulled out everything (and discovered a root system rivaling crypts) and replanted only the healthy stems. By month 10 it was well established and I could trim 30-40 stem tips every few weeks without really affecting the appearance. It was more of a necessity to control the carpet height. Like the AR mini, a complete tear out and selective replanting every 6 months (or less depending on the growth) may be needed to keep them decent looking.
The plants have had some minor setbacks with GSA and BBA but none to the melt that is commonly reported.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm hoping that this tank takes off. I've done everything I can do for it. Good ferts, CO2, good flow, and good quality lighting. My only concern is that the fish might not like the flow. I can't tell if my Rasboras like it or not haha; that being, the Hydor 240.

Update: The Rasboras seem to be adjusting to the added flow well. No foreground plants have become uprooted as of yet. I know it will take a while for a good looking carpet to form, but at least I can form the carpet myself (benefits of the stem plants). The AR isn't looking good, but I think with time it will start to flourish.

I will note that I haven't gotten my drop checker to show that good lime green color yet...it's a light green color. The idea of buying a reactor is always in my back pocket. It looks like I'll have to increase the bubbles per second; although, I'll do it gradually. The Crinum Calamistratum is looking odd in this setup, so I might take it out. The Blyxa is starting to form a reddish pattern on some of its leaves...it's very cool. The Pogo is slowly but surely growing...it looks green and healthy. This tank is a big work-in-progress, so it'll be interesting to see what it looks like in a couple months! Pics to come over the weekend.

Fish,

I got one of those AR tissue culture packs. It's taken awhile for mine to establish. One thing I've noticed: get some ferts under the plants. The ones with root tabs have fared much better in my tank.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Fish,

I got one of those AR tissue culture packs. It's taken awhile for mine to establish. One thing I've noticed: get some ferts under the plants. The ones with root tabs have fared much better in my tank.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Thanks for the advice RadMax!

I'm thinking about putting some shrimp in my tank. Maybe in the summer when the plants are a bit taller and fuller. What shrimp would you guys recommend to have with Harlequin Rasboras, Kuhlii Loaches, and a Honey Gourami?

Back
Top Bottom