Fishless cycle levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Majik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a question about the levels in my almost 3 week old tank. I first added ammonia. For the first two weeks the level barely dropped. I added ammonia maybe one time during that time. Last sunday, at the two week mark I finally got my first sign of nitirites. During this last week the nitrites have gone off of the chart. The ammonia is still dropping very slowly. I added a few drops two days ago because it finally got below 2ppm. Today just for giggles I tested the nitrates and have around 5ppm. Is this possible so soon? I figured that it would be another two weeks or so to even see nitrates. I followed the directions on my API test kit for the nitrates, so I dont think there is a test error. I was surprised to see any amount though. One other point worth mentioning is the now slightly white cloud in the water. I read that is because of the bacteria bloom so I am not concerned, especially because it is such a light cloud. Thanks for the help so far.

Test your tap water for nitrates. It is not that uncommon for the tap nitrate reading to be greater than zero. If you have nitrates in your tap water, then you need to be able to see the nitrates definitely rise to know you are nearing the end. While you are testing your tap water, also test it for ammonia and pH. If your ammonia is positivel, and you have a municipal water supply, then you have chloramines in the municipal supply. You must always use a dechlorinator for water changes with tap water that has chloramine in it.

Nitrate tests at those low levels are highly inaccurate. Don't worry about your nitrAte level until your nitrIte level drops back down to 0. Continue to feed ammonia as necessary when the ammonia level drops below 1ppm (boost it to around 3-5) and just monitor your nitrItes.

I agree that this early in the cycle the nitrate levels are highly inaccurate. Once the nitrites start to drop off then your nitrates will be more accurate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom