Fishless Cycle Log/Rebuild - Take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
libraygirl said:
Ammonia dropping slowly. Last night it was down to between 0.5-1 so I redosed to 3 ppm (this is the 2nd time I've redosed since starting, not counting the initial dose). Still no nitrItes. :mad:

It'll be 3 weeks on Sunday.

The water is still clear too, no bacterial bloom. Not sure if this is bad.

I was hoping this time would be on the quicker end of the cycle time but it looks like it's going to try for the full 6-8+ weeks :banghead:

I hope something happens soon. Eco (or anyone) when should I start worrying if I don't see nitrites?

Thanks for asking!!

If you continuously see ammo dropping and nitrItes don't appear...I will personally put in a call to whichever university has the most respected microbiology department, or have NASA scientists come to your home in little space suits to gather samples.

LOL OK Eco, have the number ready just in case :)

Thank you Jimmy!

I wasn't going to test today, I wanted to try to skip a day, but the pull is too strong

So I just tested ammonia and nitrIte:

NitrIte: 0 (of course) (I actually tested with two different NitrIte bottles as I have two API test kits, both are the same sky blue color)
Ammonia: 1-1.5 :eek: Is that possible, a drop from 3 ppm last night after I redosed?! Without measurable nitrItes?

Is that possible or are my eyes going :blink: After I redosed last night I waited a half-hour and it was definitely about 3 (not quite the shade of 4, but darker than 2). Right now it's definitely lighter, about 1, maybe 1.5

Wow, should I be hopeful??? If it's starting to drop that quickly I should be seeing nitrites soon, right?? Oh please Oh please..... :fish1:

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit (wouldn't be the first time :ermm: ) but I want to do a :dance:

It's normal to be a lag between the time that ammo starts to drop quickly and nitrItes reach measurable levels. I'd say up to 4-5 days is an acceptable range. Remember to check for nitrAte rises occasionally.

It's normal to be a lag between the time that ammo starts to drop quickly and nitrItes reach measurable levels. I'd say up to 4-5 days is an acceptable range. Remember to check for nitrAte rises occasionally.

Thanks Eco! I did the whole battery of tests a couple of days ago, no nitrAtes as of then. I'll do the whole battery of tests again tomorrow.

So.....if I don't see nitrItes by after the holiday you'll have to call in your scientists :D

Eco is right. It took about 5 days for my nitrites to start showing up after my ammonia started decreasing.

Wow it seems like everyone on this forum is finishing their fishless cycle at the same time. I'm just a wee bit jealous :angel:

No change tonight, ammonia is still at 1-2 (I was hoping for another good drop like I saw yesterday but still the same)
No NitrItes --- it's getting hard not to throw the tube across the room :(
No NitrAtes
PH the same at 7.5

I also went to turn my tank light on for a quick look; I flicked the switch.....and nothing happened. I thought the light blew (it's brand new and haven't really used it much yet) but then I checked one of the surge protectors and for some reason it was off (it had reset itself). So then I realized that also meant one of the filters wasn't running either (the internal Fluval). I have no idea when it went off or why....I'm pretty sure it was on yesterday when I tested. The filter was still submerged in the tank so I'm hoping it being off didn't harm anything.

I'm also nervous about how much power the tank is taking from the two outlets and whether it's adequate to power everything without the circuits blowing out. I hope it isn't too much. Is there a way to tell?

Will test again tomorrow (or maybe Sunday morning).

You need to add up the amperage used by everything connected to that circuit and then compare that to the amps the circuit breaker trips at.

zparticle said:
You need to add up the amperage used by everything connected to that circuit and then compare that to the amps the circuit breaker trips at.

And add about five percent for start up amps most everything that draws power has a higher start amp then running amps

libraygirl said:
Wow it seems like everyone on this forum is finishing their fishless cycle at the same time. I'm just a wee bit jealous :angel:

No change tonight, ammonia is still at 1-2 (I was hoping for another good drop like I saw yesterday but still the same)
No NitrItes --- it's getting hard not to throw the tube across the room :(
No NitrAtes
PH the same at 7.5

I also went to turn my tank light on for a quick look; I flicked the switch.....and nothing happened. I thought the light blew (it's brand new and haven't really used it much yet) but then I checked one of the surge protectors and for some reason it was off (it had reset itself). So then I realized that also meant one of the filters wasn't running either (the internal Fluval). I have no idea when it went off or why....I'm pretty sure it was on yesterday when I tested. The filter was still submerged in the tank so I'm hoping it being off didn't harm anything.

I'm also nervous about how much power the tank is taking from the two outlets and whether it's adequate to power everything without the circuits blowing out. I hope it isn't too much. Is there a way to tell?

Will test again tomorrow (or maybe Sunday morning).

Lol I just finished my 80 gallon but be patient it didnt happen overnight that's for sure if you seen a drop at all some conversion is going on ammonia has to go somewhere iam sure your sick of hearing it lol but stick in there

This is probably a dumb question, but how do I know what amp the circuit breaker will trip on? I'm guessing the amp info (is that the wattage, e.g. the V number?) is on the devices somewhere? I don't want to call the landlord if I don't have to, he doesn't know I have the tank yet :brows:

libraygirl said:
This is probably a dumb question, but how do I know what amp the circuit breaker will trip on? I'm guessing the amp info (is that the wattage, e.g. the V number?) is on the devices somewhere? I don't want to call the landlord if I don't have to, he doesn't know I have the tank yet :brows:

Even though your landlord doesn't know yet, I'd check their aquarium policy anyway. I haven't met apartment managers that wouldn't allow for an aquarium, but they may have tank size restrictions.

Mine doesn't allow for over 55 gallons; the only thing I don't know is if that's cumulative or not. :cool:

Not a dumb question at all. You said it was one of your surge protectors that tripped not the actual breaker in the apartment right? (If it was the breaker in the apartment find the one that tripped and it should be labled with the max amps something like 15,20,30,50) Is this a power strip or just a surge protector?

Usually when you buy one of these things they tell you at what point the breaker will trip in the manual. Unfortunately most don't actually include that info on the device. You may have to do some research online or call the manufacturer.

As for everything that is plugged into it every device should have watts and volts on it somewhere usually next to the serial number.

Here are the various conversions you will need:

Converting Watts to Amps

The conversion of Watts to Amps is governed by the equation Amps = Watts/Volts

For example 12 watts/12 volts = 1 amp
Converting Amps to Watts

The conversion of Amps to Watts is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

For example 1 amp * 110 volts = 110 watts

Converting Watts to Volts

The conversion of Watts to Volts is governed by the equation Volts = Watts/Amps

For example 100 watts/10 amps = 10 volts

Converting Volts to Watts

The conversion of Volts to Watts is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

For example 1.5 amps * 12 volts = 18 watts

Converting Volts to Amps at fixed wattage

The conversion of Volts to Amps is governed by the equations Amps = Watts/Volts

For example 120 watts/110 volts = 1.09 amps

Converting Amps to Volts at fixed wattage

The conversion of Amps to Volts is governed by the equation Volts = Watts/Amps

For Example, 48 watts / 12 Amps = 4 Volts

Even though your landlord doesn't know yet, I'd check their aquarium policy anyway. I haven't met apartment managers that wouldn't allow for an aquarium, but they may have tank size restrictions.

Mine doesn't allow for over 55 gallons; the only thing I don't know is if that's cumulative or not. :cool:

Thanks. I don't have an official policy (no lease either; I was just handed a sheet of paper when I moved in to say not to make noise and not to paint the walls lol). Our building is small (6 units) and the landlord is very hands-on. He's a great guy. He let me move in with my cat even though he said no pets in his ad. I've been here 5 years without issues and I know I'm one of his best tenants (he told me so lol), so I doubt he'd have an issue with it, I'm just nervous about it.

Not a dumb question at all. You said it was one of your surge protectors that tripped not the actual breaker in the apartment right? (If it was the breaker in the apartment find the one that tripped and it should be labled with the max amps something like 15,20,30,50) Is this a power strip or just a surge protector?

Usually when you buy one of these things they tell you at what point the breaker will trip in the manual. Unfortunately most don't actually include that info on the device. You may have to do some research online or call the manufacturer.

As for everything that is plugged into it every device should have watts and volts on it somewhere usually next to the serial number.

Here are the various conversions you will need:

Wow thanks! I guess I have some homework to do today lol If my landlord comes by I might just tell him about what happened and have him look at everything. The breaker itself didn't trip (I have the box in my hallway) just the surge protector/power strip did. It's a power strip with about 6 outlets on it and it has a ON/RESET button on it. I'll see what I can find today. Thanks again!

His is it going Libraygirl?

Um...it isn't lol

Three weeks today. No nitrites, no nitrates. Ammonia is the same as it was the other night, 1-2 ppm. Hmph.

I'm at a loss as to what to do now, if anything. Wait it out a bit more? Give up? Order another activated sponge? Get a live plant? Chuck the thing out the window? I'm starting to think I'm not meant to have :fish2:

I hate sounding negative, but this is a bit ridiculous :banghead:

You could get a sponge if you want. Stay with it. We will all help you! I had to change some of my water today. It got yellow!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom