Fishless Cycle Params - Please Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we did our first fishless cycle we didnt do anything to the water except add a flake or two of fish food to start the cycle, if you let it run naturally you'll see a spike, abd drop of nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, and ph. It will level out naturally to where it will be safe for fish.

Look into some crushed coral or argonite for your filter. For tonight (after wc), drop your ammonia dose down to 2ppm & lets see if your ph stays stable.

Look into some crushed coral or argonite for your filter. For tonight (after wc), drop your ammonia dose down to 2ppm & lets see if your ph stays stable.

I think these are some really good suggestions....

I'm very hopeful that my PH with stabilze once the cycle completes.

Thanks!

Today's readings 02-28-12:

AMMONIA - .25

NITRITES - 2.0

NITRATES - 40.0

PH: 8.0

TEMP: 85F

Last night I dosed ammonia between 2-3..... I think I'll do the same tonight.

Looking back through my spreadsheet, it seems that when the ammonia hit 0.0 my ph dropped... with the ammonia in the .25 area it seems to keep the ph stabilized....

I am going to look for the cc or aragonite tomorrow.

Have you considered getting some argonite or cr coral yet?

Oh absolutely, this was a great suggestion I just have not been able to break free this week to secure same.

I should have some time tomorrow.

With either item do you put it in a stocking and then place it in the filters?

Which is most effective and ate both readily available through chain stores?

Thanks!

Either will work- depends on what you find (look in sw section). A cheap alternative I have read of people using is finely crushed sea shells as well. Piece of pantyhose or a mesh bag placed in your filter will work fine- you will just have to do a bit of trial & error to figure out a good amount to keep things stable. :)

Today's readings 03-01-12:

AMMONIA - .00

NITRITES - 2.0

NITRATES - 40.0

PH: 8.0

TEMP: 85F

My LFS has crushed coral and aragonite..... for $21.00 per bag and I think it's about 10 pounds...

Any other options that aren't quite so expensive and wasteful, I don't need this much material to bring this cycle around.....

This thing is knockin' down 4.0 ammonia no problem, but I don't understand why it keeps crashing my ph every other night - it's absolutley consistant in that regard....

Lol I wonder if you were to dose to 8ppm if it would crash in one night? Or dosed to 2ppm if it would take 4?

This is what you will have to consider here- you plan on eventually heavily/overstocking this tank, correct? With just a single fish, this problem most likely wont happen. But, a heavily/overstocked tank will possibly put out 4-5ppm of ammonia. Bottled ammonia & ammonia from fish are the same thing- ammonia. If your are not able to keep a stable ph now, you will probably not be able to keep a stable ph with your future stocking plans either. The coral/argonite does gradually dissolve (once your ph hits 7.5) so you will be adding to it as time goes on.

Now, if you only plan on one or two fish & keeping this tank understocked, drop your amm dose down lower (1-2ppm) and you can probably get this tank cycled without a ph issue. You will just then have to watch as your increase your stock that your ph doesnt start crashing because at some point the bioload will tip the ph scale over its stability point. Ultimately, its up to you on how you would like to approach getting your tank cycled. Hope this makes some sense! :)

Back
Top Bottom