Fishless Cycle Params - Please Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what you will have to consider here- you plan on eventually heavily/overstocking this tank, correct? With just a single fish, this problem most likely wont happen. But, a heavily/overstocked tank will possibly put out 4-5ppm of ammonia. Bottled ammonia & ammonia from fish are the same thing- ammonia. If your are not able to keep a stable ph now, you will probably not be able to keep a stable ph with your future stocking plans either. The coral/argonite does gradually dissolve (once your ph hits 7.5) so you will be adding to it as time goes on.

Now, if you only plan on one or two fish & keeping this tank understocked, drop your amm dose down lower (1-2ppm) and you can probably get this tank cycled without a ph issue. You will just then have to watch as your increase your stock that your ph doesnt start crashing because at some point the bioload will tip the ph scale over its stability point. Ultimately, its up to you on how you would like to approach getting your tank cycled. Hope this makes some sense! :)

Your post makes perfect sense and I completely understand....

This tank is set up for Peacocks and it will need to be overstocked given the species.

A week ago I purchased my first three male Peacocks about 2.5 inches and put them in a 20 Long to quarantine, thinking this 55 was nearing it's point of cycle.

The 20L is a barebottom tank and I am AMAZED at the amount of bio-load (poop!) these 3 fish produce... more than I expected.

There is no doubt about it - I need a cycle that can handle 4.0 ammonia, otherwise my fish will constantly be at risk which means I won't sleep well at night and I'll be doing constant water changes.

I'm running some fairly strong filtration with two Aquaclear 70's at 300 GPH each and an Aquaclear 50 Powerhead at 270 GPH. I'm hopeful that once the filtration heats up with beneficial bacteria that the large amount of sponge filtration will house adequate bacteria to dispose of the ammonia without ph spikes - is this a possibilty? Am I thinking correctly?

Maybe I should build a cycle to 2.0 and after the tank has cycled at the 2.0 point gradually and continually move the ammonia dose to 4.0 as the ph can handle it?

I feel with certainty at this point I am going to have to stabilize the ph with cc or aragonite to get the ph stable and the cycle completed and probably use either/or on a permanent basis.

I'm not even sure that posting my readings at this point is very beneficial, it is very consistent - the ph falls when the ammonia is displaced.

Today's readings 03-02-12:

AMMONIA: - .25

NITRITES: - 2.0

NITRATES: - 40.0

PH: 6.8

TEMP: 85F

No worries! I think your tank will finishing cycling fairly quickly once you get your ph stable. Cycled to a solid 4 (or even bit higher), too. Keep us posted! :)

Yesterday morning I added a sock of crushed coral to each filter and I placed another sock of crushed coral directly into the tank.

I then dosed ammonia to 4.0.....

Today's readings 03-04-12:

NITRITES: - 2.0 (might be 5.0 - definetly that color)

NITRATES: - 5.0

PH: 8.0

I'm anxious to see how things go today!

Many thanks to all!

Today's readings 03-05-12 (AM):

AMMONIA: - .00

NITRATES: - 40.0

Dosing up to 4.0 .... may do an additional check this evening as the ammonia seems to be moving pretty quickly.

Today's readings 03-05-12 (PM):

AMMONIA: - .00

NITRATES: - 20.0

Looks like another ammonia dose.

It's gobbling up 4.0 ammonia in 8 hours, should I dose a higher amount? or check twice daily and dose to 4.0 as warranted.

I'm just curious: at this point in my cycle how important are the nitrate measurements? We know they are present, but my nitrite numbers have not budged and are consistently the same.

Movement in the nitrite would signify and indicate nitrate movement - correct?

Yay! I'm glad the coral is finally getting your ph stable!!!

It is nice, I did a good number of water changes to keep the ph up - but that's my fault for not purchasing the cc sooner.

I received the cc advice/suggestion awhile back..... I was just a bit too busy to make the purchase and I also wanted to shop around so as not to get beat up on the price.

Now, I just hope it maintains!

I am glad things are staying stable & your amm is zeroing completely! Thats great news! Keep us posted! :)

I'm just curious: at this point in my cycle how important are the nitrate measurements? We know they are present, but my nitrite numbers have not budged and are consistently the same.

NitrAtes are showing you that some of the nitrItes are being converted. Plus if they weren't then your nitrItes would be rising steadily instead of staying the same :)

Movement in the nitrite would signify and indicate nitrate movement - correct?
Got it turned around here :)

And it shouldn't hurt to dose it twice a day if its zeroing out that fast, if you do you'll have one heck of a bb colony that should be able to handle any fish you care to throw at it! lol Plus it will give you more nitrites, might speed that half of the cycle up a bit?

Actually I wouldn't dose twice per day, once is more than enough. Your nitrites could be rising; before they were 2 and now they might be 5, so that could indicate some movement, it's hard to tell between the colors. The nitrite phase can take around 3 weeks on average. If they are still up this weekend, do a larger water change to restore the buffers and minerals in the water and get the nitrite down to a readable level and then we can see what happens from there. No need to do it until this weekend though.

Nitrate is a byproduct of the cycle. So bacteria converts ammonia to nitrite, then another bacteria converts nitrite to nitrate. Usually a rise in nitrate signifies that at least some of the nitrites are being processed.

Today's readings 03-06-12 (AM):

NITRATES: - 80.0

PH: 7.4

With the ph dropping a little I tapped the cc in the filters to stir it up a bit.

Also dosed back to 4.0 on the ammonia.

This was roughly 7:00 am this morning.

Lots of nitrates! Thats great!! Your ph fell a bit but it didnt completely crash- you can always add a bit more cr coral if needed. :)

Today's readings 03-07-12 (AM):

NITRITES: - .25 (checked this one twice)

NITRATES: - 10.0

Looks like another ammonia dose to 4.0 - I like the change in colors, hoping for an aqua blue real soon! ;)

How large of a water change did you do? Or did the nitrites drop all on their own?
Lol yeah when you see that baby blue its very exciting :)

Nice, great to see the nitrites drop so quick. I just assumed you'd done a water change since your nitrates went from 80 to 10, maybe a testing error? Did you shake the #2 bottle long enough?

Back
Top Bottom