Fishless Cycle Params - Please Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water changes remove them. Plants use them as a food source. In fw, the nitrogen cycle ends at nitrate. In sw, its whole different story & I dont profess to have a any substantial knowledge but I believe theres another set of bacteria that convert nitrates to nitrogen gas (?)... i am honestly not exactly sure but im sure our sw friends know the correct answer!

Today's readings 03-16-12:

AMMONIA: - .00

NITRITES: - 0.0

NITRATES: - 160.0

PH: 8.0

TEMP: 85F

Dosed 2.0 on the ammonia last night.

Same thing this evening to see if we have stability?

Thats spectacular!!!! Ok- increase the amm a bit. Not a full dose to reach 4ppm but enough that its bit more than 2ppm (@3ppm). :)

Thats ok! You have a set of nitrite>nitrate bacteria that can convert 2ppm amm no problem. It may take a day or two for them to catch up to the amm increase. Go ahead & dose amm to 3ppm again & let see what happens tommorrow! :)

Thats ok! You have a set of nitrite>nitrate bacteria that can convert 2ppm amm no problem. It may take a day or two for them to catch up to the amm increase. Go ahead & dose amm to 3ppm again & let see what happens tommorrow! :)

That makes perfect sense.

3.0 dose complete.

:thanks:

:) Ok, lets do 3ppm for one more night & then you can up it to 4ppm tommorrow. You may see a day or two of low nitrites when you increase the amm again. Great job- this tank should be ready for fish in a few days!!!

Last edited:
I expected this to happen. Your nitrite bacteria should adjust upwards (again) in 2 or so days. Your amm>nitrite bacteria are rockin! :)

:) Thats great!!!! Even quicker than I thought! Yep, dose again to 4ppm & drop your temp by 2-3 degrees. Your guys should be able to move into their new home this weekend! Unless, you want to up the amm up to 5ppm & cycle it further (if so, dont drop the temp yet), but this is up to you.

Back
Top Bottom