Fishless Cycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well you are doing a fish-less cycle. I don't understand why you are changing the water before the tank is cycled out, The Ammonia has to peak then start down then sometime during the Ammonia peaking the Nitrites starts to rise and by the time the nitrites starts to peak the Ammonia is 0 and as your nitrites starts down your nitrates start going up and your nitrites goes to 0. Your nitrates keeps going up. so after your nitrites goes to 0, then your Ammonia is 0, your nitrates will be between 0 to 10 ppm. Thats is what confusing me doing a P WC of 60% before it has cycled. Doing these water changes is prolonging the Cycling process. There isn't any fish in the tank to hurt. I know how most of the people feel about fish-less cycling and if that is what you want to do fine, But I would do it without doing a partial water change until after it cycles and before I add any fish. If you do it that way it should be cycled in 4 to 6 weeks.

Well you are doing a fish-less cycle. I don't understand why you are changing the water before the tank is cycled out, The Ammonia has to peak then start down then sometime during the Ammonia peaking the Nitrites starts to rise and by the time the nitrites starts to peak the Ammonia is 0 and as your nitrites starts down your nitrates start going up and your nitrites goes to 0. Your nitrates keeps going up. so after your nitrites goes to 0, then your Ammonia is 0, your nitrates will be between 0 to 10 ppm. Thats is what confusing me doing a P WC of 60% before it has cycled. Doing these water changes is prolonging the Cycling process. There isn't any fish in the tank to hurt. I know how most of the people feel about fish-less cycling and if that is what you want to do fine, But I would do it without doing a partial water change until after it cycles and before I add any fish. If you do it that way it should be cycled in 4 to 6 weeks.

Go back a few posts and read why I explained why you do a WC to get nitrites down to readable levels so the cycle won't stall out.

Why dose with such a massive quantitiy of ammonia? 4ppm is vastly more than your stocking of fish will ever produce. IF your filter can house enough bacteria to convert such high quantities, then when you do stock your tank, there won't be enough food for the BB anyway - unless you plan on continuing to add ammonia when your fish are in there?

Why dose with such a massive quantitiy of ammonia? 4ppm is vastly more than your stocking of fish will ever produce. IF your filter can house enough bacteria to convert such high quantities, then when you do stock your tank, there won't be enough food for the BB anyway - unless you plan on continuing to add ammonia when your fish are in there?

Yeah I'm hearing this from a few people now. Some told me I should only do 2ppm.

Well just figured I would give an update since so many people helped and gave me advice. My 36 bow is now cycled and all the fish I want in there for now are doing great.

I'm so happy I went the fishless cycle route and I appreciate all the help I got from you all.

THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom