Fishless cycling readings so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it sure is mate its one **** of a filter i must say and like you say that light may be the problem lets see what happens now its off over night and tommorrow day will update you when i get home from work one more thing it might be is that i wonder if it could be my hood which is perspex , with the water that condensates on it then drips back into the tank maybe there is something on /in it that is not good so im going to leave that of two
ok eco check you back in later nice one for your help dude

cichlidpaul said:
it sure is mate its one **** of a filter i must say and like you say that light may be the problem lets see what happens now its off over night and tommorrow day will update you when i get home from work one more thing it might be is that i wonder if it could be my hood which is perspex , with the water that condensates on it then drips back into the tank maybe there is something on /in it that is not good so im going to leave that of two
ok eco check you back in later nice one for your help dude

No problem man, if you're making the effort to do a fishless cycle, you deserve to have people give you help along the way. Remember though, even if we figured out whats making it go slow, don't expect any dramatic changes overnight. It still takes some time for those little buggers to start colonizing and really show you a difference in your readings.

I used something called BioSpira when I started my tank cycle. The ammonia was down in 5 days and now the nitrites are almost down after 8 days.

scottayy said:
I used something called BioSpira when I started my tank cycle. The ammonia was down in 5 days and now the nitrites are almost down after 8 days.

Things like Biospira can help, but the problem is they have a short shelf life, and if you don't get a fresh batch that hasn't been exposed to extreme temps, it virtually useless. Sounds like it's working great for you though!

No problem man, if you're making the effort to do a fishless cycle, you deserve to have people give you help along the way. Remember though, even if we figured out whats making it go slow, don't expect any dramatic changes overnight. It still takes some time for those little buggers to start colonizing and really show you a difference in your readings.[/QUOTE

Well thank you dude nice to here things like that it has to be the best way for the fish and thats what matters

i know it all take time and yes you can end up pull your hair out with the wait but if we can sort this white stuff out well thats a worry of my mind

thanks again dude

Things like Biospira can help, but the problem is they have a short shelf life, and if you don't get a fresh batch that hasn't been exposed to extreme temps, it virtually useless. Sounds like it's working great for you though!

what size is your tank scott as i know it will take me a month + for mine to cycle maybe 2 months

BioSpira is the only product that people actually get results from. it's kinda hard to find near me but I've heard only positive things about it.

:)

carey said:
BioSpira is the only product that people actually get results from. it's kinda hard to find near me but I've heard only positive things about it.

:)

True. I thought they had changed the name of it because a major brand had bought it out. Think it needs to be kept refrigerated. That's the problem with it, hard to find and very delicate.

Since we've got a couple more people in here now, does anyone know what's up with the white stringy stuff he's got going on? Sorry you've got to read through the 4,000 posts we've made between each other, lol.

eco23 said:
Since we've got a couple more people in here now, does anyone know what's up with the white stringy stuff he's got going on? Sorry you've got to read through the 4,000 posts we've made between each other, lol.

Thats a sorry from me too lol but we will get to the bottom of this in sure

Sent from my X10i using Aquarium

I did a little more research this morning and I'm still confused. I've found a couple explanations where other people seemed to have a similar problem.

The first is something called white hair algae (which explains the stringy stuff, but not the flakes you're seeing). It basically looks like white fuzz growing on everything.

I've also heard of people having a problem with the white flakes floating around, but all those people had saltwater tanks, you have freshwater right? With saltwater it's basically salt deposits that build up around the filter output and are launched out into the tank.

Someone on a different site said that hard water deposits can make white flakes in your tank, but that wouldn't happen in the time frame that you've had your tank set up. If you use a water softener, they do add a small amount of small amount of salt to the water, but again not enough to cause this issue IMO.

I read on your other thread that someone thought it was part of the bacterial bloom, but I have to disagree. The bacteria bloom causes your water to be cloudy like someone poured milk into the tank, but I've never heard of it causing what you've described. It also usually happens late in the cycle and I don't think you're at that point yet.

So, I guess we're back to square one unless you check out one of the things I've listed and can identify it.

Again, I definitely don't know everything about it, so hopefully someone with experience will check in on this thread. Surprised no one has yet since this is such a long thread!

Hi dude

Yet again i agree with you totally with what you have said and i also have came across the first thing you talked about but that was a long time ago now and like yourself i don't think its that and its sure not a bloom as i now what thats like , so yep back to square one but i will say this at the moment it seems to be subduing now i have only done three things heat down,filter light off,and hood off oh and added more ammonia thats it , been looking at my tank tonight and their is a film come slime around to to of the water line so i gave it a clean with a sponge and guess what i had loads of the same stuff again floating round in my tank ...... Before i done that it was clearing up now i know this stuff is settling on the top of the tank so i think in gonna have to keep an eye on that but i have a strong feeling now it might have something to do with the hood but i will keep you updated mate

Good deal man, hopefully it's actually clearing up and not just wishful thinking. Due to the fact that it's getting better after you turned off the light it seems like it has to be a living thing (like algae) instead of some sort of deposits. When you get it all cycled, you can start lightly vacuuming (I think you Brits just call it a vac... At least that's what Karl Pilkington calls it) the tank and a little of the gravel to get the leftover stuff out after it's all dead. Make sure the sponge you're using has never had detergent on it. I guess if we never figure out what it is that's okay as long as we figure out how to get rid of it. Good luck dude, and keep me posted.

*just to follow up on my thought, when you do get to the point you can vacuum, do it extremely lightly and only a small area at a time. Last thing you want to do is suck out all the bacteria you're trying so hard to grow.

oh for sure its a living thing as it keeps coming back maybe its a living thing from deposits not sure yet and yes mate we call it vac lol lmao and yes i will do for sure , as for the sponge yes it was a new one with no detergent on it as for figuring it out well lets say its work in progress but fingers crossed it might be one of the three i guess time will tell

Could be some sort of evaporation sediment e.g the bacteria in the water is saturated due to not being consumed by anything, bacteria then binds itself under the heat and light forms a skin on the surface and then becomes dense enough to sink and float around like flecks the root type ones you are experiancing could be where the flecks have separated from the skin on top of the water, you say it's improved after lowering temp and lights off causing less evaporation but a greater skin on top of the water, regarding water conditioner I have always used it when trying to cycle it removes choosing chloramine etc best one I find for the UK is tetra aquasafe easily picked up, hope thisaddsa new theory for discussion

Hi mate

Well that sure does open another can of worms up lol will find out more tonight when i get home for work how its looking as its been two days since the heat came down and the UV light on the filter was turned off and hood removed lets hope all is good will let you know later cheers mate

No probs mate only a theory not 100% sure but I had green algae do te same kinda thing

well the stuff still around in my tank but not as bad untill i noticed my filter had slowed down so took it apart washed the media in the tank water and put it back together . now i had to refill the tank as water was low thats when it went mad after filling it back up it was in a right mess but is now clearing thank god but these flakes where every where (including in the filter) to be honest now my head hurts/stressed over this thing now

eco we have spoke at great lenth over this and then my mate welshy comes in with what could be a great call theres only one word for me at the minute thats FRUSTRATED aaaaaaahhhh

Back
Top Bottom