Fishless cycling readings so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's just crazy how much this stuff has taken over. It seems that all of us agree that it's some for of algae or other living thing since the light being off seems to be helping. What are your water parameters right now? I know that high nitrItes and nitrAtes cause major algae problems, bur if they're not crazy high right now it leads to another problem. Once it's cycled, how are we gonna make sure this stuff doesn't keep growing? Looks like you might have a tank with about 50 algae eating fish!

lol eco god i hope not more algae eaters than cichlids not good lmao

added more ammonia tonight its not at 4.9
nitrite at 0.7
nitrate at 7

i hope so carey

cichlidpaul said:
lol eco god i hope not more algae eaters than cichlids not good lmao

added more ammonia tonight its not at 4.9
nitrite at 0.7
nitrate at 7

i hope so carey

NitrIte at 0.7 or 7?

Hmm... because I thought the tank was only really susceptible to major algae outbreaks when the nitrItes and nitrAtes are super high. Is the tank in front of a window or anything? You just saw the pics of my tank, that thing stayed crystal clear basically the whole time. I did have my light off the entire time and it's not near any sunlight. I can't help to think you're super fancy filter has something to do with all this.

no mate its not in front of a window its in the same spot as my old tank as for the filter well you might be right i hope not though

cichlidpaul said:
no mate its not in front of a window its in the same spot as my old tank as for the filter well you might be right i hope not though

It was funny when I looked at the link you included for your filter. Isn't it called "The Pond Master" or something like that lol? At first I thought "what is this guy trying to cycle, a lake?". One last thought, did you rinse your gravel and decorations real good before you set it all up?

just rinsed it real good took me hours

lmao all pond solutions as this is the biggest tank ive owned i thought it was a lake lmao

The only other thing I can think of other than a live organism is debris in the filter from manufacturing or some loose silicone, but a live algae of some kind seems to be tue more likely, don't get stressed mate atleast your readings are improving, there is light at the end of the tunnel and getting it right now saves a whole load of pain later, chin up mate!

Hmmm after a bad night with the look of my tank , i cleaned and rinsed the filter with the tank water and woke up this morning to a nice clear tank well just 1 or 2 white flakes floating around a huge improvement guys so fingers cross it stays that way now

welshy by joe we might have cracked it between the three of us like you just said and eco thought the filter might have something to do with it

i think those white things had took a fancy to my filter , think when cycle is complete i will clean it out again thats if it stays free of the stuff till then

Wouldn't clean the filter after cycling mate you will destroy all the bacteria in your filter and have to go through a mini cycle your best bet is to just keep scooping the White stuff out and keep an eye on any new and that way we can gauge the production rate of this alien! On a further note I am due to set up a new post on how this site is a bad influence on me!!!!! Just tore down my tank and completely rescaped it!!!

why did you do that mate it looked great as it was , your gonna have to get more pics up now lol
i have a question for you ? have you ever used api stress coat

Haha it looked a bit too set up bit man made tried to go a bit more natural, playing footy after work so pils will have to wait until tomorrow, stress coat not too sure if I have, I know I used ammo lock a fair bit lol, I think my dechlorinator adds a mucus coating to the water to help the fish not really sure about stress coat what are you looking in to it for?

i want to dechlorinate my water and stress coat says it does that and adds a film over the fish to help stress but to be honest i have never used it befor (that brand anyway)

Never used it to be fair Tetra aquasafe is the kiddy for me does the job spot on! Never had any issues with it does the same asserted coat this also adds trace elements to the water neutralises chlorine chloramine and heavy metals and adds a protective layer

Back
Top Bottom