Floating Dalmation Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iowazookeeper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a dalmation molly that keeps floating back up to the top of the tank. It keeps trying hard to swim to the bottom but can't stay there. I'm not sure what the issue is or how to treat. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

This is a 37 gallon tank that was established about a year ago. It currently has 1 3 inch fern nose pleco, 1 long fin tetra (his buddy died) and 2 red barbs along with pink snails. About 1 mo ago, we added 2 black mollies and 2 dalmation mollies. I found 3 unintentional babies 1 1/2 wks ago.

We were supposed to clean the tank that day but didn't for fear of accidentally sucking up babies. We have rinsed the filters and are visually monitoring the tank for cleaning needs until the babies get bigger.

This dalmation molly just started this behavior today I believe. My mollies hang out at the top of the tank a lot but this one can't stay at the middle or bottom of the tank.

One of my dogs chewed up my testing kit so taking water in to be tested tomorrow. We vacuumed gravel about 4 weeks ago (longer than normal because of surprise babies). Temp is at 80.7 degrees. We use a marineland penguin biofilter 200. We did add 1 pjece of new decor the same day that we added the new mollies.

Help!

Last edited:
The problem described is possibly Swim Bladder Disease, or Disorder. I've only experienced this problem once with some large tetras and didn't have much luck. To treat I think you raise the temp. To 80 degrees. You already got that covered. Don't feed the fish for several days, then feed the fish some type of food that is known to relieve constipation. Hope this helps.

I would add that it may be prudent to treat your fish with an antibiotic and an anthelmintic prophalactially, such as moving or adding new fish.

Back
Top Bottom