floating snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chelseachuy

Aquarium Advice Activist
i read that they do this but for how long? i just got it today.making me concerned he doesn't smell... so should i be concerned??

i read that they do this but for how long? i just got it today.making me concerned he doesn't smell... so should i be concerned??

My snail is floating around for a day now. Is he/she dead or what? What should/can I do?

Well, apple snails can be very inactive for days (see answer above this one) and if they have a lot of air in their lung, they float (sounds logical isn't it?). Floating of an apple snail doesn't indicate that there is something wrong or that he/she is dead.
To check if the snail is alive, take it out of the water and see if you can get it moving by touching the shell door. If the shell is closed completely, then you can be sure that the snail is alive because once the snail is dead, the muscles are relaxed and the shell door stays at least partly open.
Another way to check the snails is by looking at the heartbeat (only possible with young snails and snails with a thin shell). To do this, keep the snail in front of a strong light source so the light shines through it and look at the heartbeat. Have a look at the anatomy section to see where to look for.

This was taken from Apple snail FAQ

He actually attached to the wall right after I posted this. He is my first snail. Hes been really active I love him!

Back
Top Bottom