Flower photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice cJw! The pink/purple bush in question looks like what we call a rose of sharon. Hibiscus syriacus.

Woot! Blackberry lilies are blooming! :D

22135150_67794d05d3.jpg

22135149_ac2e030a25.jpg

The blooms last for a day, then curl up into a spiral before falling off as the seed pod develops. . . which turns easily into more lilies! My collection started with one plant, and I have grown about a dozen more plants by simply burying the seeds in the fall. 8) :D

You guys all have such beautiful flowers and gardens! Amazing! Half of our backyard is still dirt, but the corner is my garden to be....just waiting to finish our yard this summer. I need to fill it completely with good dirt and mulch first as what is there now is the hard claylike dirt that you can't even dig in. I'm excited to get my vegetable garden growing. Now that I have an aquarium I can use the nitrate rich water to fertilize, what else do you all do to have such beautiful healthy plants?

Honestly, most of our beds aren't supplemented with much of anything. The soil here in Louisville has a LOT of clay in it, so we may mix in some potting soil or peat moss to loosen it up some, but that's the most we ever do... that, and some Preen under our hardwood mulch. :)

For our veg garden, this year we found a landscaping supplier who mixes a 'special soil' which they recommended for gardens specifically. I can't recall the entire ingredient listing - calling them now; google.com owns!:

"top soil, compost, peat moss, cow manure, sand"

Not sure the ratio, but there it is.

Regardless, our veggies are looking quite happy; we'll have beans to harvest soon and kale within a couple weeks. :)

Guess what - I got more pics! :lol:

22873500_97bfb8b6ce.jpg

Blackberry lilies on their way out. The twisties in the background are what the blooms turn into the day after they open; from there, it's onto seed pods and more blackberry lilies! :D

23788986_95f180e269.jpg

This is a shot of one of the kale plants in our veg garden (beans are almost ready, tons of cherry tomatoes, squash has yet to have a flower survive the animals. :|). Love the color and texture. :)

23788982_a1378e59fe.jpg

This baby dove has adopted our garden as a place to hide until he can fly completely. He's been there all weekend and our daughter even got a good look at him. :D

22873502_4d00164403.jpg

This is a mimosa tree, blooming in our backyard. It's flowers are gorgeous, feathery things, and they make quite the mess when they dry and fall all over our other flower beds. :x

23788983_affde3c7f8.jpg

This isn't in our yard, but my wife's aunt's, and I thought it turned out well, so there it is. Bumblebee on bee balm.

8)

Those are great pics! The mimosa tree is beautiful!
It rained most of today, so when it stopped this evening, I went out to deadhead my roses, and got some nice shots of some of my blooms :D

**Edit** dumb photo thing. I don't know why my pics wont show up so here they are again.

Trevor and I went to a lovely park yesterday. So many pics to share!

Attachments

• yellow_rose_and_lady_bug.jpg
    yellow_rose_and_lady_bug.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 14
  • yellow_rose_and_lady_bug2.jpg
    yellow_rose_and_lady_bug2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 12
  • purple_flowers_and_bee2.jpg
    purple_flowers_and_bee2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 12
The yellow roses blew me away!

Attachments

• close_up_yellow_rose.jpg
    close_up_yellow_rose.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 15
  • mature_yellow_rose_closeup.jpg
    mature_yellow_rose_closeup.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 8
  • yellow_rose_closeup2.jpg
    yellow_rose_closeup2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 9
a few more colors

Attachments

• peach_rose.jpg
    peach_rose.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 13
  • red_rose.jpg
    red_rose.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 14
  • fourth_of_july_roses.jpg
    fourth_of_july_roses.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 12
There's one of me messing around and the baby ducks!!

Attachments

• mom_and_baby_ducks2.jpg
    mom_and_baby_ducks2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 12
  • baby_ducks.jpg
    baby_ducks.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 12
  • meghan_and_two_pink_roses.jpg
    meghan_and_two_pink_roses.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 16
Cool pics!

:edit: