Fluval biological enchancer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doomsday

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do I use the for cycling? Do I add fish than add it? Will my tank still need to be cycled?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Assuming the produce does what it says it does, you still need to cycle the tank... or more appropriately, you will need to cycle your filter.

The product will immediately get beneficial bacteria into your tank. But that's just getting the bacteria into the water column. The moment you do a partial water change, you're going to lose some of that bacteria.

But when you cycle a tank, what you're doing is establishing a concentrated colony of beneficial bacteria in your filter. So as you change the water or other changes to your tank, you always have the beneficial bacteria in the filter.

And if you do use this product, you still need a test kit so that you can watch if ammonia and nitrite levels are getting too high requiring more product to use.

My suggestion would be to get your tank and filter, get some pure ammonia (no soaps or other additives, try Piggily Wiggly or Ace Hardware store brands), and get a test kit and start doing a fishless cycle. If you want to hurry things along, you could get this product to help seed your tank with the beneficial bacteria. But I still to the fishless cycle.

Totally agree with the reply above. Don't add fish until your tank is proven to be fully cycled. Then add fish slowly, a few at a time so as not to overload the newly seeded filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah you always have to cycle a tank.

The bottled stuff claims to make it faster by adding the first generation of bacteria, rather than waiting for it to land out of the air. There is varying success with the bottled bacterias.

So read up on fish-in, or fish-less cycling, and choose your method. Adding the ammonia from a bottle can be faster and of course less risk to the fish, and requires fewer water changes. Using fish for the ammonia requires vigilance, restraint, and care.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom