Fluval Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brothergc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I saw this at my local petco , Fluval Cycle bio booster . Seeing that the brand name was "Fluval" I thought I would give it a shot. Also They have the cutiest German blue ram I been eyeballing but seeing my new tank is not cycled no way am I buying Him but I want to sooo bad! LOL
So anyway I see the reviews on the stuff at amazon , a++ here and it claims to "make the tank ready to add fish Immediatey"
Now bear in mind Ihave already doesed the tank with pure ammonia , 4ppm trying for the fisless method .
so I add the stuff acording to directions , 12 hours later I test , no change in ammonia .
Well so much for that claim ! :(
The directions say to redose daily for 3 days so I will report back tomorrow with any resluts but not holding up much hope here

Ok,
day 2
I added as directed a second dose of the product and then retested my ammonia , it is down ! down from 4ppm to 1ppm tested for nitrite up from 0 to 1.0 ppm humm looks like the party is getting started ! :dance:
tested for nitrate 0ppm :( not quite their yet

One thing for sure the claim of being able to add fish right away is BS and would be cruel . Had I gave into my temptation of buying that fish it would most likley be dead !

Sounds like it is off to a good start. The nitrite-to-nitrate conversion has always been the time consuming step. Interesting to see what results you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Sounds like it is off to a good start. The nitrite-to-nitrate conversion has always been the time consuming step. Interesting to see what results you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

thanks for the reply . I plan on keeping daily posts on the progress , figure that this not only lets me track my progress , but others can see as well .:)

day 3
retested for ammonia .5ppm
nitrite is .5 ppm
nitrate is 80 ppm
looks like this stuff does help speed up the process
and it looks like its time for a major water change, then I plan on adding one last dose of the fluval , and retest .
edit : water change done did a 80% water change added 7 dropps of ammonia to keep the bacteria feed will retest this afternoon. Also added another dose of the fluval per instructions
EDIT 2:
retested after water change and adding ammonia
amonia 1 ppm
nitrite is zero
nitrate is .5 ppm

coming up, my test with fluval pete gradulales , my water is liquid rock here in indy ph is 8.5 :eek: here

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived on the south side near Greenwood and we had high pH. I'm back up in Michigan now and mine is roughly 7.4-7.6 which is considerably better. I'm in the process of cycling my new tank after not having fish for the last 2 years. Grabbed a huge bag of gravel from the LFS and added that 2 days ago. I'm still at 4ppm ammo with no change at all. Currently on day 4. With that being said, I'm intrigued on this stuff you bought. Being patient SUCKS! LoL.

Just keep swimming

I lived on the south side near Greenwood and we had high pH. I'm back up in Michigan now and mine is roughly 7.4-7.6 which is considerably better. I'm in the process of cycling my new tank after not having fish for the last 2 years. Grabbed a huge bag of gravel from the LFS and added that 2 days ago. I'm still at 4ppm ammo with no change at all. Currently on day 4. With that being said, I'm intrigued on this stuff you bought. Being patient SUCKS! LoL.

Just keep swimming

give it a shot I be more then interested in your results . Just Me alone trying it is one thing , but both of Us ....well we might just help out another soul trying to cycle . Sucks going to the petstore and eyeballing that perfect fish , and yet knowing that if you buy him , he is dead meat .
Cool I just moved from Greenwood to west side of indy . Indiana is known for its liquid rock water . I am not so concerned about PH as I am those disolved minerals . They get on my glass top and form a cloudy , hard substance that is just ugly and reduces my light . Sure I would like a lower PH as I plan on having tetras and rams

I think every store and shop is closed today, but tomorrow I'll look around. If the owner of my LFS isn't there tmrw, I'm going to try and get filter media from a friend who works there. The gravel is good, but obviously most of the BB is in the filter. If I can't get any, I'll buy the stuff you mentioned if I can find it. My dishwasher in Indy left cloudy glasses. Very hard water. Went through hell trying to find a good dishwasher detergent. There's a river that runs under 465 heading north toward Zionsville that I got driftwood from. Just FYI lol.

Just keep swimming

I think every store and shop is closed today, but tomorrow I'll look around. If the owner of my LFS isn't there tmrw, I'm going to try and get filter media from a friend who works there. The gravel is good, but obviously most of the BB is in the filter. If I can't get any, I'll buy the stuff you mentioned if I can find it. My dishwasher in Indy left cloudy glasses. Very hard water. Went through hell trying to find a good dishwasher detergent. There's a river that runs under 465 heading north toward Zionsville that I got driftwood from. Just FYI lol.

Just keep swimming
FYI it is available on amazon if you can not find it localy
since I am a new member, posting links is a problem but just google "Fluval Cycle"

Cool. I'll look there if I need it and can't find it. Thanks!

Just keep swimming

day 3 , evening test
amonia is down from 1ppm to .5 ppm
nitrite was 0 now 1 ppm
nitrate was .5 ppm now 1ppm
all this change in 6 hours . time to stop adding amonia and get some fish starting with 6 neon tetras and one german blue (y)
pretty much done her product does work . if something major happens I report back

Good to know that it worked. Keep an eye on it for a little bit after your fish are in. Random water tests never hurt. GBR's are one of my fav!

Just keep swimming

Good to know that it worked. Keep an eye on it for a little bit after your fish are in. Random water tests never hurt. GBR's are one of my fav!

Just keep swimming

you bet ! I be the little mad scientist with my test tubes and cemicals LOL

Haha! I kind of feel like that actually : )

Just keep swimming

day 4
ammonia is zero
nitrite is thu the roof 2. ppm
:(
oh well another water change :banghead:

Do a decent size WC. 50% at least.

Just keep swimming

Do a decent size WC. 50% at least.

Just keep swimming

just did a 70% water change , that helped . I retested and down to 0.5 PPM
I got some fish now , added 6 neons and one German ram . I went thru the roof when I found that High of nitrite , with my new fish :(
dont get it thought that the tank had cycled but got a big surprise tonight .
I keep monitoring the tank and update anything major

Anything too high will kill any fish, but be known that those neon's are hardy fish for the most part. They can withstand adverse conditions in my opinion.

Hopefully everything is smoother going forward.

Just keep swimming

Anything too high will kill any fish, but be known that those neon's are hardy fish for the most part. They can withstand adverse conditions in my opinion.

Hopefully everything is smoother going forward.

Just keep swimming
hope so , got home and again had to do a major water change , nitrite was 1ppm
So I did a 80% change and got it down to .25 PPM (y)
I am not sold on this fluval cycle , hopfully If you plan on trying it your results will be better , but for me , just not feeling it .
The fish seems fine , the neons are eating , and the German ram is coloring up . He/she is a all solid electric blue . it is definatly a juvenile so dont know if they will change or is this normal ? Time will tell .
I keep monitoring the water

They are German Blue Rams for a reason lol. Their color from what I've personally seen, doesn't change a whole lot. That doesn't mean that yours won't, though.

I'm actually trying a product called Special Blend. It can be used to help cycles complete faster and can also be used just to keep your mature tank balanced. Trying my luck with it.

With your fish in there, your bacteria colony should start to grow bigger and stronger. You may be doing water changes for some time, but you won't be doing them forever! ;)

Just keep swimming

Back
Top Bottom