Fluval Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are German Blue Rams for a reason lol. Their color from what I've personally seen, doesn't change a whole lot. That doesn't mean that yours won't, though.

I'm actually trying a product called Special Blend. It can be used to help cycles complete faster and can also be used just to keep your mature tank balanced. Trying my luck with it.

With your fish in there, your bacteria colony should start to grow bigger and stronger. You may be doing water changes for some time, but you won't be doing them forever! ;)
Just keep swimming
Sad to report lost one neon , but not due to water quality, he jumped out and found him all dried up on the floor :(
Just came from the local fish store , trying some API quick start , used that many years ago so we will see . Mabe I should add it directly to my wet/dry part of my fluval C4 , humm that is a thought , anyway I am off for another water change , becoming a nightly chore LOL !

You can add it wherever you want. All of the water will eventually pass through the filter. If it were me, I'd just add it to the filter though lol.

I'm sorry about your loss. Maybe buy a lid for it. Poor little guy probably didn't mean to kill himself. You're sure he didn't jump out because of poor water conditions? If your water conditions are all in check, why do a PWC? Save yourself the time and energy if you're able to.

Just keep swimming

You can add it wherever you want. All of the water will eventually pass through the filter. If it were me, I'd just add it to the filter though lol.

I'm sorry about your loss. Maybe buy a lid for it. Poor little guy probably didn't mean to kill himself. You're sure he didn't jump out because of poor water conditions? If your water conditions are all in check, why do a PWC? Save yourself the time and energy if you're able to.

Just keep swimming

that is what I did add it to the filter , my Nitrites keep shooting up , amonia stays .25ppm . seems like I have the bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite , but not the other kind ??
I do Have a glass lid , dumb dumb Me left it open this morning :banghead:
rip little neon

Sounds like you don't have a large enough colony of bacteria. Bacteria is bacteria and does not come in different kinds. It's all bacteria and it knows what it has to do. I've never read that there are different kinds of bacteria to do different jobs. If there is, then I learned something new. Lol.

Just keep swimming

after doing some googling I found jumping neons is not uncommon
Neon tetra, jumpers? | AquariaCentral.com
Tetras jumping tank - The Planted Tank Forum

Bit of a mystery for me here , did a 80% water change last night about 7 pm , retested water Nitrite was .25 ppm , get up next morn, 530 am , amd its jumped to 1 ppm . been playing this tune for 3 days now and the music is getting old LOL. Ammonia always is next to nothing . I am using a API master test kit . any thoughts /ideas will be apreciated :)

I've been wary of bacteria in a bottle products but so far this appears to be working for the most part. The nitrosomas bacteria are doing their job (no detectable ammonia), however, the nitrobacter bacteria are not quite there yet. It would be nice if percentages of which species were published or posted on the product's label.
This almost mimics a traditional or fishless cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well cool. I learned something new!

Just keep swimming

just got up this morning , retested no detectable ammonia , nitrite was 2ppm did another water change . API quick start IMO ... Failure and a waste of money but what the hey I had the stuff so I dosed again seeing it is a fresh water change , Interesting though the fish show no sighns of stress like fast breathing so ok that s good . water is crystal clear . no fish smell . so I will keep on truckin'
so how goes Your tank Ceej ?

Sometimes when you get away from the normal swing of things and start adding additives, it throws things off. But obviously we all get antsy. Lol. My tank was between 1-2ppm of ammonia. Dosed that back up and will keep checking. Just gotta keep on truckin'

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

giving one last product a shot seachem stibility and another stuff called seachem prime if claims hold true it will be cycled in a week

If you weren't using Prime as a water conditioner, what were you using to dechlorinate your water?

Ive never used or know of anyone who has used the Seachem Stability. Good luck!

If you weren't using Prime as a water conditioner, what were you using to dechlorinate your water?

Ive never used or know of anyone who has used the Seachem Stability. Good luck!

I was using a fuval brand to declor ran out of that and saw this prime . seems like better stuff supposed to "detox nitrates and nitrights " and you use way less to acheve the same results as the other declor
here is a link to stability http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Stability.html

I am sold on seachem Prime , it has made a loyal customer out of me . I tested my water just a hour ago , NO2 was 2ppm :eek:
So I did a water change right away 80% overdosed on prime and added stability . no2 now at zero ! :dance:
I read where this stuff when overdosed lowers N02
in my past water changes I would always just get a reduction , never zero . Throwing my other declor cems out prime for me only (y)

I will see what it tests out tomorrow but this stuff rocks :)

morning test 1-1-2016 7am
ammonia zero
Nitrite zero
Nitrate 5ppm
Happy camper ! :dance:
hope that this means I have cycled ! before I always had more nitrite the next morning . Nice to wake up to none (y)

Sounds like your bacteria have grown in better...
Prime CONVERTS ammonia and nitrites to a safer form and then the bacteria get it ,it does not remove or reduce....
It is way safer then water changes alone though as you have seen it basically zeros the nutrient for the fishes safety.
My research says Dr. Tims 'one and only' and Tetra Safe Start(TSS) are the most reliable 'bottled bacteria ' on the market.
Dr Tim invented the product.....
If your ram is all blue the it is an Electric Blue Ram(EBR)...

Pics???

Congrats on the cycle. Always a good feeling knowing that milestone has been reached. Onward!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like your bacteria have grown in better...
Prime CONVERTS ammonia and nitrites to a safer form and then the bacteria get it ,it does not remove or reduce....
It is way safer then water changes alone though as you have seen it basically zeros the nutrient for the fishes safety.
My research says Dr. Tims 'one and only' and Tetra Safe Start(TSS) are the most reliable 'bottled bacteria ' on the market.
Dr Tim invented the product.....
If your ram is all blue the it is an Electric Blue Ram(EBR)...

Pics???

maybe I misread/understood it on the prime but you take a look
Seachem. Prime FAQ
look at the last fact and question , that is what I based my statment apon
As for my orignal ram , I had to get rid of him, ordered 3 GBR from live aquaria , my orignal ram went nuts when he say the new guys , kept attacting all three . All seemed fine for a few days then last night one of the 3 just behaved funny , he always stays to the top , I have noticed rapid breathing , and some kind of white streak on the tail fin . could be tail rot ? Or possibly suffered from the attack of the orignal ram .
Anyway ,as I am writting this , I have noticed a reduction in the white substance on the tail so I am hoping that the major water change is having a effect . Asfar as picks go that is a no go. tried transfering picks from my phone to my PC , but my PC does not see my memory card :( about time for a new phone anyway . I am going to check out the app for this forum on google play , maybe that will do the trick
OK have app but consusing on how to use it gave up and uninstalled it give me a desktop anyday over a 5.5 inch screen and a tiny on screen keyboard !

I am sold on seachem Prime , it has made a loyal customer out of me . I tested my water just a hour ago , NO2 was 2ppm :eek:
So I did a water change right away 80% overdosed on prime and added stability . no2 now at zero ! :dance:
I read where this stuff when overdosed lowers N02
in my past water changes I would always just get a reduction , never zero . Throwing my other declor cems out prime for me only (y)

I will see what it tests out tomorrow but this stuff rocks :)

Lol, Prime is the best. Don't use anything else.

Poor ram. If it was me, I would keep all fish out and just be patient.

Back
Top Bottom