Fluval Spec Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MABJ said:
Making me jealous! Can you take a vid?

I will soon. I just tried and I need to delete some stuff off my SD card, then I can take a nice video.

librarygirl said:
Awwww adorable! I had never seen them before until a few weeks ago, a local LFS had them and I stared at the tank going "awwwwwwwwww." I'm jealous ;)

Lol. The worker at my LFS thought that they were brackish (even though they were in FW), and I totally taught him about puffers. I think he had green spotted puffers and dwarf puffers mixed up. He was awesome though, he let me catch the fish to make sure I got the ones I wanted. This LFS is awesome. They have a lot of nano fish. Today I saw scarlet badis and pygmy cories.

maxwellag said:
Lol. The worker at my LFS thought that they were brackish (even though they were in FW), and I totally taught him about puffers. I think he had green spotted puffers and dwarf puffers mixed up. He was awesome though, he let me catch the fish to make sure I got the ones I wanted. This LFS is awesome. They have a lot of nano fish. Today I saw scarlet badis and pygmy cories.

What the heck. You have great LFS options in your area. I've got to pay shipping on everything! Unless I want inbred guppies or balloon mollies. Lol.

What the heck. You have great LFS options in your area. I've got to pay shipping on everything! Unless I want inbred guppies or balloon mollies. Lol.

This is the only one in my area that has this many species. The shop is a little run down, though. I'm uploading a video now.

They're so cute! I wish they'd stay at the front of the tank.

DP's need 5 gallons each! They're going to get bored and stressed in a 2g setup. You'll soon start seeing them attack each other and swimming up and down the tank walls in boredom.

lol 2 DPs are going to rage on each other in that tank. You have a decoration in there that takes up 60%+ of their territory leaving them with a gallon of water to fight over. Take that cave thing out and put a lot of plants in there to break the line of sight. It's only a matter of time before they start getting crazy in a tank that small.

Ceej said:
DP's need 5 gallons each! They're going to get bored and stressed in a 2g setup. You'll soon start seeing them attack each other and swimming up and down the tank walls in boredom.

I know, I already explained this. I have a 10g on the way, and I asked people not to mention this because I already know. At the LFS they had about 5 in a 20g and they were all swimming up and down the walls. There wasn't anything in the tank, so I guess that's why. I am going to get more plants for them soon.

FishN00b83 said:
lol 2 DPs are going to rage on each other in that tank. You have a decoration in there that takes up 60%+ of their territory leaving them with a gallon of water to fight over. Take that cave thing out and put a lot of plants in there to break the line of sight. It's only a matter of time before they start getting crazy in a tank that small.

They aren't being aggressive yet. They just hang out together. The decoration is hollow, and there are many hiding spots provided by it. It is taking up maybe 1/4g. I'm getting more plants soon. As said before, I am getting a 10g soon (within weeks) and that I already have a plan.

I don't think a 5g is really necessary for one DP. They get an inch long, and the most important thing in the tank is hiding spots (with more than one) and plants. They are not very active fish. As long as they have enough room to swim and lots of plants or hiding spots(with two or more), it is fine.

The most important thing is hiding spots and plants to break up line of sight between two or more DPs. You need swimming room. If your DP isn't active, somethings up. They're active hunters and swimmers. I have two DPs in a 20g.

Ceej said:
The most important thing is hiding spots and plants to break up line of sight between two or more DPs. You need swimming room. If your DP isn't active, somethings up. They're active hunters and swimmers. I have two DPs in a 20g.

They're being active, but not compared to fish like tetras. One of the was swimming in a big circle around the decoration, I think he was patrolling his territory! Lol.

That may be so lol. They're very territorial, especially when it comes to feeding time. If I drop their live food to either side, that one fends off the other DP. if I drop in the middle, they snap at each other. Fun sight to watch. Then, at times, they'll hunter snails with one another. Quite awesome fish when they have plenty of room to wander about.

The reason for the 5g each is because of the eating habits. Another reason why they need 5g each is for territory. 2g isn't enough space for one to call home (especially when you're talking 2g high), and when another fish comes into another's home it defends it. If they can see each other they get crazy like bettas. You wouldn't put 2 battas in that tank would you? Of course not. You need to treat them the same way. Without ample room, they'll start ripping each other apart.

He's getting a bigger tank as he mentioned.

FishN00b83 said:
The reason for the 5g each is because of the eating habits. Another reason why they need 5g each is for territory. 2g isn't enough space for one to call home (especially when you're talking 2g high), and when another fish comes into another's home it defends it. If they can see each other they get crazy like bettas. You wouldn't put 2 battas in that tank would you? Of course not. You need to treat them the same way. Without ample room, they'll start ripping each other apart.

The eating habits can be tamed if I can get them to eat their own food. I could drop 2 pellets in. The 2g is enough room for them to call home. They have enough room to claim territories. As said before, plants are on the way. Of course I wouldn't put 2 bettas in this tank. I wouldn't put 1 betta in the tank. Bettas claim way more territory and are almost always agressive to other bettas. I am getting a 10g very soon for them to grow out into. Right now they're pretty young.

Ceej said:
That may be so lol. They're very territorial, especially when it comes to feeding time. If I drop their live food to either side, that one fends off the other DP. if I drop in the middle, they snap at each other. Fun sight to watch. Then, at times, they'll hunter snails with one another. Quite awesome fish when they have plenty of room to wander about.

Yeah I just saw them both *trying* to kill a pond snail. Too big. Lol. I might try putting two shrimp in on opposite sides for them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom