foooooooddd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pellets are better than flakes because they hold nutrients better. As soon as the flake hits the water its losing nutrients quickly, if you've ever fed a cheap flake food with dye in it you'll notice after a minute or two the flakes start turning white.

Pellets are also better because they have more density, so the fish doesn't have to eat as many to get the same amount of food.

jetajockey said:
Pellets are better than flakes because they hold nutrients better. As soon as the flake hits the water its losing nutrients quickly, if you've ever fed a cheap flake food with dye in it you'll notice after a minute or two the flakes start turning white.

Pellets are also better because they have more density, so the fish doesn't have to eat as many to get the same amount of food.

So there's a good chance they won't live a long, healthy and colorful life if they're not exclusively being fed pellets? JK ;)

Last edited:
eco23 said:
Believe me, this is a minimum 3x per month discussion on AA, haha. I'm not sure we've even reached the Gamma or Delta part of the conversation. As soon as I see "food" in the title of a thread...I click subscribe instantaneously.

It honestly just depends on the type of fish/environmental factors what success you're going to have with the different brands. I just experimented until I found a system that works for my fish. They eat like pigs haha.

Oops... Rest of my reply to above quote ....
Haha! I have never paid much attention to the pellet controversy because we have a reef tank that we feed strictly a homemade food. Totally yanks my chain to feed my fish high priced sushi-grade seafood when I am eating stuff like hot dogs. Lol.

But I am planning a trip to the dark side with a small freshwater tank and so am curious as to what the current trend in food is. I see a lot of NLS hype but I don't really know how it stacks up. I am not really one to do what the cool kids are doing so I was curious as to what folks are actually having success with.

Most people who try feeding it exclusively have great results and stick with it, for a reason.

Variety is not a nutrient. In addition, pellets, flakes, etc. are a variety of foods mixed in to every bite. If that mix is complete and balanced there is no need for even more variety.

Almost all 'algae' foods are nothing more than a disk shaped version of the company's other foods with more green dye and/or slightly more spirulina. Nutritionally they are almost identical to the company's other foods. But if that makes you feel better about feeding them go ahead.

Personally I do not chime in against anything I don't have experience with. It doesn't make sense for me to do that. If I don't have experience with something anything I say is just thoughts based on no real evidence. Apparently other people do not have this hold up in talking about things they do not have experience with. Therefore this is not a real discussion so not much can be said. If anyone has any real issues with NLS please speak up. If anyone wants more information please ask. But I am not going to get caught up in another pointless 'discussion' with people who haven't even used the food.

Fishguy2727 said:
Most people who try feeding it exclusively have great results and stick with it, for a reason.

Variety is not a nutrient. In addition, pellets, flakes, etc. are a variety of foods mixed in to every bite. If that mix is complete and balanced there is no need for even more variety.

Almost all 'algae' foods are nothing more than a disk shaped version of the company's other foods with more green dye and/or slightly more spirulina. Nutritionally they are almost identical to the company's other foods. But if that makes you feel better about feeding them go ahead.

Personally I do not chime in against anything I don't have experience with. It doesn't make sense for me to do that. If I don't have experience with something anything I say is just thoughts based on no real evidence. Apparently other people do not have this hold up in talking about things they do not have experience with. Therefore this is not a real discussion so not much can be said. If anyone has any real issues with NLS please speak up. If anyone wants more information please ask. But I am not going to get caught up in another pointless 'discussion' with people who haven't even used the food.

Oo fishguy can I ask u something. It's related to NLS goldfish. I recently swapped over from hikari lionhead to NLS goldfish. The reason why I swapped over was because one of my goldfish (oranda) always gasped for air for hours after feeding. But after the switch! Both my goldfish started gasping for air. I've tried to reduce the feeding from 18 to 5 pellets and still gasping still exist. The length of the gasping varies. The less I feed the short the period. They do fine when i feed them bloodworms and hikari algae wafers. So I'm just wondering if it is the problem with my goldfish or pellets. I wanted to switch over to NLS exclusive but kinda scared to unless I solve this issue.

My water parameters are good. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate < 20ppm, Ph 7.6, temp 21 Celsius. It's a 40 gallon with 2 goldies..

Sorry If I'm crashing this thread!

id like to hear more:)
im currently feeding my semi-stocked community omega one pellets. when its fully stocked i will be feeding the omega one pelets,hikari shrimp pellets, and tetra algae wafers(i know its a crummy brand but they will get them max 1 per day).i know the wafers arent the best for them,but apart from them they have a healthy diet,right?

You can start here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-should-know-about-fish-nutrition-157735.html

That is an article I wrote about food in general. It is not meant to speak for or against any particular brand, just help people think about what they feed a little better.

That is a weird situation with the goldfish. IME the fancier the goldfish the more likely it is to have problems. FYI you don't need to feed the goldfish formula, it is the same as the regular, discus, cichlid, etc. I feed the Thera+A formula because it has enough extra garlic to kill some parasites. Then you only have to worry about pellet size. So you feed and then they sit there gasping for a long time? At the surface? Do they keep foraging for foods but just breathe heavier in the process? I would be curious if they did this with a smaller pellet. Do you have sand or gravel?

Omega One has artificial colors, that is enough for me to not use them. They fall right in to similar ingredients and nutrition but sell to you with drastically different colored foods that are not much different other than the dyes.

You can start here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-should-know-about-fish-nutrition-157735.html

That is an article I wrote about food in general. It is not meant to speak for or against any particular brand, just help people think about what they feed a little better.

That is a weird situation with the goldfish. IME the fancier the goldfish the more likely it is to have problems. FYI you don't need to feed the goldfish formula, it is the same as the regular, discus, cichlid, etc. I feed the Thera+A formula because it has enough extra garlic to kill some parasites. Then you only have to worry about pellet size. So you feed and then they sit there gasping for a long time? At the surface? Do they keep foraging for foods but just breathe heavier in the process? I would be curious if they did this with a smaller pellet. Do you have sand or gravel?

Omega One has artificial colors, that is enough for me to not use them. They fall right in to similar ingredients and nutrition but sell to you with drastically different colored foods that are not much different other than the dyes.
i read the article,and it said that for adult fish the fat composition in food shouldnt be above 10%,in the foods i have, it says that the omega one pellets have minimum 11% crude fat,is that bad? also,the omega one food has colour enhancers i think(its the super colour kind).if it does,should i be worried?

Fishguy2727 said:
You can start here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/article-what-you-should-know-about-fish-nutrition-157735.html

Oo nice article.. Shall read on my free time thanks :)

Oo ya I'll transfer over to thera A+ after this one is finished. Yes after feeding the spend alot of time at the surface gasping for air. It can last for ages! They will do it for 4 to 6 hours then be normal again the next day. My oranda is the worse case. They will gasp for air for a few second after feeding then resume foraging for food, then back up and back down. Sometimes I'll find white stringy poop the next day. I'm guessing it's constipation.

Their breathing in water seems to be normal. And I have gravel. Smooth ones.

Do you have strong air stones in the tank?

Yes, the fat issue is one reason among many I would switch to NLS and would not use Omega One.

Fishguy2727 said:

Yes, the fat issue is one reason among many I would switch to NLS and would not use Omega One.

Yes I have Alot of aeration. I use a spray bar and I have a 900mm black silicon air tube that runs across the whole tank..

ok,i'll switch the omega one to NLS asap,the only place i can find it is wqay overpriced(like 10 bucks for a tiny container)

It is cheaper online, but it is still not the cheapest food out there. The good thing is that it lasts much longer than you would expect, I have had many people make that observation. Because it is so nutritious you do not have to feed as much and there is less waste.

Some of them are very good for specific situations. For example, the Food Sticks are great at getting top feeding predators on prepared foods. I would still get them on NLS once they start eating prepared though. Same thing with the sinking carnivore pellets. I do think that overall NLS is a much better choice than Hikari. I used Hikari extensively before NLS and there is a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom