foooooooddd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All joking aside, I am interested in switching strictly to NLS solely off the fact that you support it so much...however, flakes are a must in my particular situation. Will I be losing the advantages of the diet if I use a mix of NLS flakes with the h2o Stable Wafers and pellets are not part of the equation? Also, if I continue feeding frozen bloodworms once or twice a week...do you believe that will in any way compromise the "exclusive feeding" benefits...or would they simply be unnecessary?

forensicsnakeoilsalesman.jpg

For those reading along, I thought it prudent to point out that for centuries there have been snake-oil salesmen with cure-all solutions. I'm not saying this is the case with any particular brand of food in this hobby, but the reality is that people will always take one-size-fits-all solutions to broad spectrum issues.

In regards to this particular flavor of the month food, I want to bring to light a different take on its claim. The claim is that virtually all fish that eat a particular pellet size require the exact same vitamins and minerals despite differences in size, natural diet, and species. This is a VERY bold claim by any standard. There are experienced members of this forum who's opinion I respect who do support this food (That hasn't posted in this thread) exclusively and therefor I have no doubt of it's quality as a general purpose food. On the other hand there are equally experienced hobbyists who can claim the same for varied diets. I only advise that when approaching an any issue regarding this hobby, to keep these things in mind.

i read the article,and it said that for adult fish the fat composition in food shouldnt be above 10%,in the foods i have, it says that the omega one pellets have minimum 11% crude fat,is that bad? also,the omega one food has colour enhancers i think(its the super colour kind).if it does,should i be worried?

Not all adult fish have the same dietary needs. In a perfect world, everything would need the same amount of everything, but they don't. There isn't a magic bullet number that suddenly makes something bad vs good.

I wouldn't be worried, people have had large colorful healthy fish long before NLS and they still do today. Omega one is a fantastic fish food brand, I've used it in the past and had no complaints. It's unfortunate that it even concerns/worries you. Marketing hype is a powerful tool.

oops - found it :)

Last edited:
Why must you use flakes? I haven't come across any situations I can think of where this would be the case. I have fed pellets to small fish including small tetras, microrasboras, and even shrimp. In all these cases the pellets still provide some benefits. They preserve nutrition, fill the fish better, and are cleaner.

In the end yes, the flakes and algae wafer would be fine. I still suggest going with pellets though. Even my plecos (bristlenose, gold nugget, flash, etc.) all go for the pellets, no need for a wafer.

I am no snake oil salesman. In fact I am not selling this to people on forums at all. That idea would make sense if I sold these products on my business's website and would tell people that if they asked, but that it is not the case.I have nothing to gain from convincing people either way with this issue. I share my experience so that others can make more informed decisions. I don't like the attitude of 'they are all good foods, just pick one'. People come to forums to improve every aspect of how they care for their fish. Nutrition is arguably the most important aspect (matched only by water quality) and not making a huge issue out of it is neglect.

There are many good enough foods out there, almost all of which will keep fish healthy and colorful. Even garbage foods (no brands specified) will allow neon tetras to be blue and red. They will live long enough (at least long enough to not make it obvious there is an issue with the food). But like dog food, after years of feeding low quality foods you can see a difference. So although Hikari and Omega One will give about the same results at first glance, it is different.

IME NLS gives better coloration. This may not mean that all of a sudden your neon tetras will be bluer and redder than you have ever seen, but it will be a little better. You may also get subtle improvements in color. Afican cichlids will have bright metallic colorations on their gill covers and an irridescent sheen to their whole body. Fish may not drastically grow faster, but it will be healthy growth. They will be healthier with fewer health issues overall. Even breeding can improve, whether triggering more fish to breed or getting those already breeding to be more productive.

There are obvious exceptions. If a fish won't eat NLS it obviously isn't the best. But if you can get them to eat pellets NLS will likely produce the best results. Triggering breeding may require special high energy foods since breeding generally takes place only when the offspring will have the best chance of finding enough to eat. NLS on its own is not meant to provide this excessive amount of nutrition since that is not healthy all the time. I have seen fish on NLS breed with no other triggers, something that did not happen with them on any other diet, no matter how varied. In the shop I was running we had goldfish, gold barbs, rainbows, galaxy rasboras, shrimp, crayfish, the usual (livebearers and African cichlids), and even discus breed, all without any other foods or triggers.

It is also the only prepared food I have seen mandarin gobies eat. We sold one the moment it ate one at the shop. In fact NLS is what the captive bred ones are being raised on. This is a saltwater fish, but to me it proves that NLS really is not just another high quality food. Without regurgitating posts I have made or examples from their site, there are many others that do the same thing.

People say these fish cannot have the same food, but I would love to see some real evidence showing that fish need drastically different nutrition. I am not talking about one fish eats fish in the wild and another eats algae, I mean that in the end they need different levels of protein, fat, etc., the actual nutrition. They all have different ways of getting it, but the actual nutrition needed by their cells is very similar.

Honestly I was just as skeptical of it when I first heard about it. I argued against it then just as hard as I stand for it now (at least as hard as people argue against it now). But after seeing the tank the owner has on just NLS I gave it a shot and have only had reason after reason to keep using it since.

It is a big claim for any company to make. And I honestly I do think the company does take a little liberty with some of their claims, but in the end the results still speak for themselves. It is a big claim, but no other company has achieved what NLS has either.

Well.... my $0.02... I have been feeding Tetra brand flake in all my tanks for about 4 years now. I do feed frozen bloodworms to fatten up my female krib before breeding and occasionally my angel gets some. That being said, I've had countless successful spawns on just flakes. I've also raised countless fry to adulthood on just crushed up Tetra flakes.

Could some other brand be better? Maybe.

Are they more expensive? Yes.

I've seen the results with Tetra's brand and why change a good thing, IMO.

As you were.

You are lucky. Most people have far from that success, especially with that food.

Success is also relative. They could all be even better on a better food.

I gave my input to this thread based on my own experiences with the Tetra brand. Do you have any experience with it, personally? I know you said "most people have far from that success" but have YOU personally?

How could a fry growing from an egg to a successfully breeding creature be better on another food? I fail to understand your reasoning here. Are you saying a fry raised on NLS is going to live longer, breed longer, etc?

Yes, I used Tetra a lot. It was my standard for any small fish for a long time.

Living to breed isn't the only way to determine how well fish do. And it is not the only way to determine they are thriving. I agree, if they are breeding they aren't too bad off. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't grow better, breed better, be more colorful, and live longer on a healthier food. IMO almost all fish die of malnutrition and not old age (or other more severe things sooner). This doesn't mean they die before breeding age or won't breed, it just means they could have lived longer and been healthier.

I think we need to think about it the way we think of human nutrition. The subtleties we see in human nutrition are what we need to realize we can't measure with fish. Many people breed without issues but have diets that are not nearly as good as they could be. But they live well enough and long enough to breed, and have offspring who breed. This doesn't mean they wouldn't be much healthier long term, be in better health now, 'look better', and produce even healthier offspring if they had better nutrition.

With some effort (and bringing him to the verge of potential starvation) I'm sure I could convince my Bolivian Ram to eat pellets. For the time being he has absolutely no interest in anything floating in the water other than flake foods and frozen bloodworms. Trying to get pellets close enough to the bottom for him to consume results in pellets slipping into the cracks and crevices of my river rock substrate and overfeeding

I'm willing to try the NLS diet (but also including occasional bloodworms) for one reason...the length that Fishguy is willing to support it. Foods are obviously something I will continue to purchase as long as I own fish...and in my personal opinion, if someone is basically willing to shed blood for a product as well as taking ridicule and has obviously researched the topic more than I ever will...it's worth me spending a few extra dollars to follow the advice from someone with experience and knowledge on the subject. Im happy with the Omega One and Hikari I currently feed, but unless there was some potential risk with following the advice...I'm up for trying it. It's almost time to restock anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom