forgot to add dechlor !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
So just now i was topping off my 36 gallon which is currently cycling and I forgot to add dechlor when I added the first gallon, then I realized it a couple minutes later when I came downstairs with the next gallon and added prime. Do you think I killed any BB? I hope not, I just started getting nitrites :s

paytertot said:
So just now i was topping off my 36 gallon which is currently cycling and I forgot to add dechlor when I added the first gallon, then I realized it a couple minutes later when I came downstairs with the next gallon and added prime. Do you think I killed any BB? I hope not, I just started getting nitrites :s

Add more dechlor
Do lots of pwcs as you probably started a mini cycle

Was your filter unplugged? I'm not certain but if none of the chlorinated water hit the filter it may up your odds on things not being too bad.
*fingers crossed for you!*

paytertot said:
The tank is already cycling tho it wasn't finished I had just hit the nitrite phase

Ahhh
Then leave it it may take a little longer to cycle

Don't worry about it. Tap water doesn't kill bacteria on contact.

Lol I wouldn't worry about it. I have dumped 15+ gallons of tap water into my 55/75 before when I ran out of dechlorinator. And never had problems. And I often forget to add it to my 30g tank when I do 50 percent changes on that weekly. (cause its the "small" tank)

Now I feel silly... Lol.
X.x
Not because of anyone here lol just because it was a little silly to ask haha. I'm just paranoid because my dad already ordered fish for some reason and I don't want the cycle to last any longer than it has to

Not for nothing but no reason to top off tank if your not cycled yet....I'm three weeks into my cycle on my 65gallon and the water line has dropped at least 1.5-2 inches and I haven't done any topping off or pwc's.

NJNewbie said:
Not for nothing but no reason to top off tank if your not cycled yet....I'm three weeks into my cycle on my 65gallon and the water line has dropped at least 1.5-2 inches and I haven't done any topping off or pwc's.

There's no reason not to. But It was about to get to the minimum line on my heater and its loud because of my hob filters.

Yeah I understand....I just pushed my heater down a little deeper into tank so it wasn't close to the water line and I also have 2 HOB filters and I haven't noticed them being any louder. May be different with you having a smaller tank.....either way good luck with your cycle. I have a feeling my tank is about a week away from being fully cycled.

Back
Top Bottom