Foxface "eating" bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a Foxface Lo yesterday and he is in qt right now. Since my qt is completely covered I've put an airstone in to help with the oxygen. My question is that he seems to like to "eat" the bubbles. I have seen the bubbles then escape through his gills. Are the bubbles doing him any harm? Should I remove the airstone or is he fine with it?

TIA

This is a topic that seems to have no resolution. In SW, the O2 exchange happens at the surface of the water, ie: surface ripple, which causes gas excahnge and a stable pH. I would get rid of the airstone and keep your pH stable, by pointing phs towards the surface, in order to cause surface ripple.
The reason I said this, is the ocean has microbubbles, due to the crashing of the waves, and doesn't seem to effect the fish (at least not fish that reside near the surface of the water). I have read that microbubbles can cause problems, but have also read they don't hurt the fish.
Hopefully some one can elaborate further.....

I agree that I would remove the tops and aggitate the surface for proper aeration.

I have heard that those microbubbles, can cause irritation to the eyes of the fish and sometimes can stress them out excessively. I would remove it to and get a small ph to do the surface agitation.

Back
Top Bottom