Free Bag 'O Vals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any idea on how much it would be to ship to Pittsburgh, PA (15101)? I could probably take them off your hands for you. :)

Priority mail about $5.

How many you want? I could fill a small flat rate box I think, but I can sent up to a pound at the same rate in my own box. :)

I'll take whatever you got! :) My 10g is pretty barren and I just removed about a basketball size chunk of Java Moss out of my 30g. Both tanks could use some more plants. You take paypal? Thanks!

I'll take whatever you got! :)
I took you literally. 15.3 ounces before I add labels and tape. I put in some samples of bits of things while I was at it. I might be able to fish up names of the items in the box if need be.

The X-mas moss came from a cleaner tank, and is wrapped separately, so you should be able to skip any bleach dunk you might be doing on that. You could do a darkness period on it instead to be sure.

I think I only gave you one jungle val. It's definitely going to be too big for your 10 gallon, but if you can keep up with the trimming, it might work in your 30 gal. You can tell the difference by the wider leaves and thicker roots even if it's not full grown yet. There are enough crystal vals to make a lawn in your 10 gallon tank.

Sweet! Thanks a lot! I appreciate the extras you threw in there! I'll try the jungle val in my 30g, see what happens. I am hoping to get a new light for the 30g soon so that should help. I saw one in the classifieds here but the guy hasn't responded yet. Hopefully I'll get one by the weekend.

I don't mind the algae, my swords have a little bit on them as well. I will still give them a quick bleach dip just be on the safe side. Thanks again for everything! If shipping was more than $5 let me know and I'll send you more $$$. Thanks!

I use the ill reputed shop lights myself. :) I built a custom hood that holds two shop light fixtures, and I wired them in parallel so there is just one outlet plug for the two of them. It's enough to get over 2WPG, and they have an ok selection of daylight and plant light bulbs at the hardware store. It's a very economical choice if you don't want to go as high as 3 WPG.

The package came to 15.8 ounces with tape and labels. My home scale is accurate, so I was able to toe the line there and stay under a pound, so no worries, you're covered.

Wifey just sent a text saying a package for me is at home. :) Can't wait to get home and get to work on the tanks. Only 15 more minutes of work...:D

hey, you wouldn't happen to have anymore would you? I have been needing new plants for my 2 tanks. There kinda bare.

It takes a few months to grow as many vals as I sent, and the other sample bits are not fast growing items that I can give away more of in the mean time. So, no, not right now. I'll post again when I have stuff to give away.

Thanks for the care package! I got it last night. Took me a while to untangle everything and do the bleach dips but it was worth it! I took some pics so I'll post those later tonight. I'll also post some positive feedback for you! :)

Sorry about the tangle, I should have wrapped more of the tidbits separately. An accident turned into an impulse, I didn't do much planning until I was getting near my 16 oz limit.

I got sick of burying roots. LOL!
When I'm doing a ton of them, I often cut them off 2" above and below the joint between root and leaf. They look scraggly that way, but they bounce back and are much easier to plant. (Rule of thumb, whenever you trim roots, trim the top an equal or greater percentage.) I do the same with crypts, only with those I trim off half the roots, and then pull off the outer half of the leaves. This reduces crypt melt, as the plants are not too top heavy to be supported by the recently disturbed roots.

They would not have kept this long if I had. I'm growing more now. I'll post again when I have more to get rid of. I should do a cleanout this fall, as I don't like shipping in freezing weather.

Back
Top Bottom