FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been quietly growing plants and there's not too much pressure there once you figure out what works and what doesn't in your particular setup. If the plants die, then try something else. Fish on the other hand, require some work. And the whole guilt thing if they don't make it. Nothing really caught my eye. Then I started reading about folks buying this, getting that, and the diversity of choices and it got me out of my shell. If this was LOTR, then I would be one of those Ents (tree like shepards of the forest). Definitely not impulsive. When I brought those embers home a few weeks ago, I drove slower than I did when I brought my first born home from the hospital. The furcatas are finishing up a 2.5+ hour drip acclimation. Lengthy? Yes. Mostly because I was watching the Wisconsin-Maryland game that I recorded earlier. And I wanted to make sure the transition is gradual.
I think I'm good on stock for now.
Okay, pics. Lighting is very subdued in the QT.
sAC0yVe.png

Cz8Kxob.png

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've been quietly growing plants and there's not too much pressure there once you figure out what works and what doesn't in your particular setup. If the plants die, then try something else. Fish on the other hand, require some work. And the whole guilt thing if they don't make it. Nothing really caught my eye. Then I started reading about folks buying this, getting that, and the diversity of choices and it got me out of my shell. If this was LOTR, then I would be one of those Ents (tree like shepards of the forest). Definitely not impulsive. When I brought those embers home a few weeks ago, I drove slower than I did when I brought my first born home from the hospital. The furcatas are finishing up a 2.5+ hour drip acclimation. Lengthy? Yes. Mostly because I was watching the Wisconsin-Maryland game that I recorded earlier. And I wanted to make sure the transition is gradual.
I think I'm good on stock for now.
Okay, pics. Lighting is very subdued in the QT.
sAC0yVe.png

Cz8Kxob.png

Hey fresh, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for these guys?
My lfs seems to always have em in stock but they're marked for either $16.89 or 24.99 I can't remember which but my brains leaning towards $24.99.

Good point on the nano power head.
As for Ehiem, what would you recommend for a 20g long? I just need enough gph to run a reactor. I may or may not run one of the AC 50s with the canister. The only thing that has bothered me about about Ehiem design is the curved tube at the bottom. To me it looks like it is prone to breaking.

I'd recommend the Eheim Classic 2217-37, which would give you a good gph (you really wouldn't need a powerhead with this filter). I have the 2213-37, which is why I'm getting a powerhead for my tank (I ran this filter on a different setup before switching over to planted). The clips for this type of filter are not my favorite...if you're not rough with them, they'll be fine. I haven't had any trouble with this filter besides the fact that I had to send for a new one when I got it a couple years back (damage during shipment). I think I've had this filter for 7 years actually!

Go Reds!

Thanks for the Eheim recommendation and product review. Sounds like a solid model.
If the DC is green to greenish yellow tomorrow then I'll stick to what I have. Just keep an eye on the bps and not let it get out of hand.
The furcatas were listed at $10.99 but with the discount they came to a little under $9 a piece.

Hey fresh, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for these guys?
My lfs seems to always have em in stock but they're marked for either $16.89 or 24.99 I can't remember which but my brains leaning towards $24.99.

I bought mine online from Wet Spot Tropical Fish. With overnight air they ended up being just over $10 each.

I bought mine online from Wet Spot Tropical Fish. With overnight air they ended up being just over $10 each.

Actually that's a good deal overall. MsJinkzd says she sells them for around $3 each if she gets a good harvest (she raises and breeds them outdoors).
Found one dead Furcata this morning :( Body was white, fins and eyes intact, no wounds, etc.
The thing about furcatas (and maybe other rainbows) from what I've observed is that they hover in a way that reminds me of the shimmy a sick mollie makes (if that makes sense).

Actually that's a good deal overall. MsJinkzd says she sells them for around $3 each if she gets a good harvest (she raises and breeds them outdoors).
Found one dead Furcata this morning :( Body was white, fins and eyes intact, no wounds, etc.
The thing about furcatas (and maybe other rainbows) from what I've observed is that they hover in a way that reminds me of the shimmy a sick mollie makes (if that makes sense).

Sorry for the loss :(

But yes, the shimmy! I was describing it that way to the spouse and kids but they all laughed at me :rolleyes:

Sorry for the loss :(

But yes, the shimmy! I was describing it that way to the spouse and kids but they all laughed at me :rolleyes:

yep, I was bummed when I found it.
About the shimmy, were you describing or demonstrating? Or both? :)

yep, I was bummed when I found it.
About the shimmy, were you describing or demonstrating? Or both? :)

I lost 1 of my original 5 within a week of getting them, no problems since then.

Demonstrated for my 15 year old daughter who just rolled her eyes...the spouse asked for a demo, was disappointed when I said that wasn't going to happen :)

Great looking fish to go with your great looking tank! Will you be able to get store credit or a replacement for the dead fur?

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great looking fish to go with your great looking tank! Will you be able to get store credit or a replacement for the dead fur?

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure. I was out of town all day and did not get a chance to talk the the LFS manager. I did talk to him last night and I mentioned that I give his shop plugs online when I can and try to steer local/regional folks his way. He was very appreciative. I'll call him tomorrow.
Still have an hour before lights out so time to trim some plants and use a dozen toothpicks to keep the stray Downoi in place.
No deaths in the QT. Yeah! I'm trying a variety of foods in there (FD tubifex, FD brine shrimp, NLS flakes, pellet food, repashy meat pie) since they appear to be finicky. Trying to pair that with small daily WCs to keep the water quality decent.

Fresh,do you have any experience with growing ludwigia inclinata "cuba"?

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

Still have an hour before lights out so time to trim some plants and use a dozen toothpicks to keep the stray Downoi in place.

I have the hardest time getting mine to stay in place. I ran out of toothpicks and need to get more. I think of all the plants I've ever used downoi is the worst for getting kicked up

I have the hardest time getting mine to stay in place. I ran out of toothpicks and need to get more. I think of all the plants I've ever used downoi is the worst for getting kicked up

True. Snails and current are the culprits in my tank.
No experience with the "cuba" plant your mentioned.
Hoping all the fish in QT are fine today (work is a four letter word). I'm thinking when I move the fish out of QT, it will be in stages (CPDs first, furcatas second) so that I don't overwhelm the DT.
Here are some slightly angled pics I took last night:
Front left
TqpHCuV.png

Front right
HD0QZ1f.png

My bad, the plant I had been asking about was ludwigia inclinata verticillata cuba..

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Back
Top Bottom