Freshwater Oddballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awesomeface44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am wondering who on this site owns freshwater oddballs. I currently own a blue arowana, red bellied pacu, chaca chaca catfish, lima shovelnose, freshwater moray, ropefish, dragon goby, payara, mono sebae, leopard ctenopoma, 2 fire eels, and a tire track eel:fish1::D

I am wondering who on this site owns freshwater oddballs. I currently own a blue arowana, red bellied pacu, chaca chaca catfish, lima shovelnose, freshwater moray, ropefish, dragon goby, payara, mono sebae, leopard ctenopoma, 2 fire eels, and a tire track eel:fish1::D

Have you got a picture of your leopard ctenopoma? And how big is it???

I have always wanted an elephant nose but I here it's hard to keep them. Is it true? What are some major requirements? What do they eat?

I haven't had any problems with him, the only issue I had was finding tank mates. They need a pipe to hide in, they feed with the lights off food mine likes is frozen brine shrimp in the morning and frozen or live bloodworm at night, he eats other frozen food but those two are his fav. I had him on gravel but changed to sand. He likes live plants to hide in and i have floating plants too. He's out most of the day as well as at night so i see him a lot. And I pwc 50 % every 4 days. Hope this helps :)

I haven't had any problems with him, the only issue I had was finding tank mates. They need a pipe to hide in, they feed with the lights off food mine likes is frozen brine shrimp in the morning and frozen or live bloodworm at night, he eats other frozen food but those two are his fav. I had him on gravel but changed to sand. He likes live plants to hide in and i have floating plants too. He's out most of the day as well as at night so i see him a lot. And I pwc 50 % every 4 days. Hope this helps :)

i've had elephantnose before but it never comes out during the day. did yours go through certain conditioning before it became more "outgoing"?

unfortunately it passed away one weekend when i wasn't around. never figured out what happened to it

just so that you know, dragon goby and mono sebae are not freshwater. :fish2:

i've had elephantnose before but it never comes out during the day. did yours go through certain conditioning before it became more "outgoing"?

unfortunately it passed away one weekend when i wasn't around. never figured out what happened to it

Sorry to hear you lost yours. It's just been his personality he's always been outgoing. The hardest part with these fish i think is feeding and how they've been handled before going to the lfs, nothing you've done :)

Leopard ctenopoma

image-4060649622.jpg

Sorry to hear you lost yours. It's just been his personality he's always been outgoing. The hardest part with these fish i think is feeding and how they've been handled before going to the lfs, nothing you've done :)

thank your for the input. elephantnose fish are known to be shy and when i found it in my lfs he was hiding behind plants and driftwood, much like the other elepantnose fish in the same tank so i thought it just how they are. i picked him because he is the darkest/most black among the others. he lived in my tank for 3 weeks, i think, before i find him floating when i came back from a two-day weekend. I've never seem him eating and barely come out. what a shame.....would love to get another again

I also heard they hurt themselves very easily so you can't have any sharp rocks/decor? So they won't eat fish flaked food?

I also heard they hurt themselves very easily so you can't have any sharp rocks/decor? So they won't eat fish flaked food?

No they need live or frozen bait, my guy tries anything that I put in the tank including veg. Mine has hurt himself a few times usually because he's speeding around the tank lol i did have more in my tank with him but he made it clear that he didn't like company!

No they need live or frozen bait, my guy tries anything that I put in the tank including veg. Mine has hurt himself a few times usually because he's speeding around the tank lol i did have more in my tank with him but he made it clear that he didn't like company!

So you keep him by himself? Are there any types of fish that can be kept with him?

No they need live or frozen bait, my guy tries anything that I put in the tank including veg. Mine has hurt himself a few times usually because he's speeding around the tank lol i did have more elephant nose in my tank with him but he made it clear that he didn't like company!

I hope you have several large tanks set up for these fish..

So you keep him by himself? Are there any types of fish that can be kept with him?

Just want to say sorry my post went through twice! My fone isn't playing nice lol
I've tried lots of different fish but he just harassed or nipped them. So my tank is set up for him. He has kuhli loach and a bnp in with him and my shrimp. But remember every fish's personality is different :)

Back
Top Bottom