Freshwater Oddballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol, I wish I had a tank that big.

Me too I saw a documentary where a man in north England changed his basement into one big tank and to clean it he lifted up his sofa in the lounge above got the snorkel out and dived in with a sponge!!! I'm looking forward to getting my 6footer next year but a basement would definitely be cool haha

Me too I saw a documentary where a man in north England changed his basement into one big tank and to clean it he lifted up his sofa in the lounge above got the snorkel out and dived in with a sponge!!! I'm looking forward to getting my 6footer next year but a basement would definitely be cool haha

The only time I have had water in my basement was when it got flooded in hurricane Irene. How many gallons is a 6 ft tank?

Lol. Nice, your getting a 180 gallon tank! Are you getting it used or new?

Used but I'm buying it off a friend who is the boss of my lfs shop so as you can imagine its an amazing tank with the top of the top when it comes to equipment I know it's a year away but I can't wait my girlfriend tells me to shut up I mention it maybe once a week lol how I'm going to do this and do that and what I'm gunna stock it with my idea is to just do my exact setup and stock in my tank but just stretch it out so there's more time in the centre of the tank by the time 12 months have gone by my fish are going to be squirming for room in my 55 gallon!

Used but I'm buying it off a friend who is the boss of my lfs shop so as you can imagine its an amazing tank with the top of the top when it comes to equipment I know it's a year away but I can't wait my girlfriend tells me to shut up I mention it maybe once a week lol how I'm going to do this and do that and what I'm gunna stock it with my idea is to just do my exact setup and stock in my tank but just stretch it out so there's more time in the centre of the tank by the time 12 months have gone by my fish are going to be squirming for room in my 55 gallon!

Wow! You are lucky you have a friend who is the boss of a lfs. :). Anybody who isn't interested in fish will tell you to shut up after talking to much in that subject. Lol.

I got an african butterfly, black ghost knife and a striped peacock eel

I got an african butterfly, black ghost knife and a striped peacock eel

When keeping African butterfly's, do they only stay near the surface or to they come down too? I read that you can keep them in a community tank ( even thought they are aggressive ) as long as there are no other top dwellers?

When keeping African butterfly's, do they only stay near the surface or to they come down too? I read that you can keep them in a community tank ( even thought they are aggressive ) as long as there are no other top dwellers?

The only time it has gone below the surface was when I first did water changes the the african butterfly in the tank but it rarely goes below the surface.
I have kept them successfully with some killifish and they got along well, the african butterfly rarely gets disturbed except for the odd curious loach haha.

The only time it has gone below the surface was when I first did water changes the the african butterfly in the tank but it rarely goes below the surface.
I have kept them successfully with some killifish and they got along well, the african butterfly rarely gets disturbed except for the odd curious loach haha.

If I kept one will live bearers, would it try to eat any of them? Also might keep it with rainbow shark

If its small enough to fit in its mouth it will most likely be eaten. I've seen mine eat a neon tetra whole.
The shark would go well unless it gets aggressive enough to attack the african butterfly, they act big and scary but they aren't really.
They look awesome when you feed them live crickets.

If its small enough to fit in its mouth it will most likely be eaten. I've seen mine eat a neon tetra whole.
The shark would go well unless it gets aggressive enough to attack the african butterfly, they act big and scary but they aren't really.
They look awesome when you feed them live crickets.

Ok so guppies would not be good. Would swordtails, mollies, and platys be good? Did a lfs have the butterfly fish or did you order it online?

african butterflies eat crickets all the time. so use your best judgement when it comes to choosing tankmates as they will readily eat anything smaller than their mouth

Ok so guppies would not be good. Would swordtails, mollies, and platys be good? Did a lfs have the butterfly fish or did you order it online?

i would avoid livebearers, if you plan to have babies in the future. my local petco has ordered butterfly fish at costumer's request. so it wouldn't hurt to ask your petco or other lfs

i would avoid livebearers, if you plan to have babies in the future. my local petco has ordered butterfly fish at costumer's request. so it wouldn't hurt to ask your petco or other lfs

Really? Your petco will order fish specifically for a customer? I'll ask them one of these days. That would be cool if they would because none of my lfs have them and all the online sellers ( including petsolutions and live aquaria ) are out of stock since like a few months ago.
Also, if I did get livebearers, the butterfly would only go after babies right? I'm pretty sure the bigger livebearers can't fit into the mouth of a butterfly fish.

Really? Your petco will order fish specifically for a customer? I'll ask them one of these days. That would be cool if they would because none of my lfs have them and all the online sellers ( including petsolutions and live aquaria ) are out of stock since like a few months ago.
Also, if I did get livebearers, the butterfly would only go after babies right? I'm pretty sure the bigger livebearers can't fit into the mouth of a butterfly fish.

yes, they're almost like the supercenter for pet, fish at least. there's gars, arowana, elephantnose fish, butterfly fish, flounders, puffers, basically as long as the vendors have these fish, my local Petco will get them for the consumers instead of those typical fish that the other stores always carry.

just remember the crickets that these butterfly fish eat. if they eat cricket, i'm sure your little babies wouldn't last long with them.

Would love a butterfly fish in my elephant nose tank but not sure he would leave it alone :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom