freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pc is def more than sufficient for fowlr. My 72" coralife hood has 4-96w pc bulbs (2whites,2actinics), I dont even run all 4 cuz it lights the room up

Well if you're looking for a fixture for that now, I would recommend a t5 6 bulb fixture. :) With nice individual reflectors and I think you'll be set.

carey said:
Well if you're looking for a fixture for that now, I would recommend a t5 6 bulb fixture. :) With nice individual reflectors and I think you'll be set.

Don't you have a 12 bulb? Or is yours set up 6 for each half of your tank?

If a 6 bulb fixture is all I need for my tank why are there so many options? 2 bulb 4 6,8, 10?

Also a 6 bulb is hard to find. Seems like it anyway

I have a 6 foot tank, so yeah the 6 are split in half.

A 75g should have a 48" length so your options are endless. I only recommend a 6 bulb because of the extra width of the tank. Its the exact same as a 55 but the width is 18" instead of 12 and the extra 2 bulbs will give you more coverage. :)

Kinda makes sense. I still think the lighting issue is over complicated

Thanks Carey.

Ha now which option is cheaper?

What spectrum actually grows the corals and which ones are just for us?

Yeah, took me awhile tog et the t5 lighting down, I;m working on understanding MH and led's now. lol

I personally like a blue tank so on my 55g I got new ati bulbs. 2 aquablue specials and 2 blue plus'es.

I paln on going with almost the same setup when/ifg I do finally get new bulbs for the 125g. I'm just gonna add a purple plus instead of 2 of the blue pluses.

Most people opt for a micx of 12k bulbs and then either mixing the purples and the actinics. All depends on what look you are looking for. I find 10k bulbs to be too yellow and it seems to wash out the colors of the corals.

I believe you need some whites and some blue to get coral growth. It's all a matter of par rating. Youwouldnt get as good coral growth if all you had were actinics. The aquablue specials I like are white bulbs at about 12k spectrum so they are my "whites".

Some one will chime in with the easiest way of saying this lol.

From what ive learned, the higher you go in the spectrum, (into blue,then purplish), the less usuable output tthey have for growth. I havent learned the def of par and pur yet lol. just for comparison a 6500k bulb will have more. Groeing output then..a similar bulb at 14k

huma-huma said:
From what ive learned, the higher you go in the spectrum, (into blue,then purplish), the less usuable output tthey have for growth. I havent learned the def of par and pur yet lol. just for comparison a 6500k bulb will have more. Groeing output then..a similar bulb at 14k

Just when I was getting comfortable with sump and sealing. The lighting has me in the dark.

coffeetwitch said:
The lighting has me in the dark.

I see what you did there. Clever lol.

I've got a similar predicament. A 75 gal that's starting as FOWLR but shall become a reef.

For what its worth, I've got a quad T5HO fixture, and a dual, and I was told this would be sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom