freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
coffeetwitch said:
yes maam, but some people are ok. sounds like you get along with your sweety pie well enough.

Its just bc he is crazy and nuts and knows how to handle me! All the other guys ran away ROFL

coffeetwitch said:
yes sir, today was the first of doing that. still need to get a timer. maybe this weekend.

Timer is a must for every tank

I love everything water, from fishing to sailing to my fish tanks. I'm not the first one to say it but here it comes: with your aquariums, nothing good comes fast. In other words, everything that's worth having takes patience and time. If you do things slowly and research as much as you guys do you'll do just fine ;)

Yeah. I think for me it's a mind set. If I can just attach it with being a system of processes I'll be fine. Just right now water chemistry and specialized care just seems overwhelming

I may be a little late to the party here but, going back to the chemistry issues, IMHO the best course of action is no course of action if possible. I am brand new and may have gotten extremely lucky but I have not dosed a single thing and my water has been stellar. I expect that there will be a time when things go a bit haywire but mama nature is much better at adjusting things then we are. When something gets a bit off, give it some time to see if it straightens itself out before reaching for the chemicals. Anytime you dose for one thing you are messing with all the others. Just my opinion but.....

I'm having a heck of a time with my wate chemistry as well. My dkh keeps dropping but my calcium really. But I also have a tank full of corals so they are probably doing a number on my parameters.

I've been testing daily to see what i will have to dose and in what amount. Picked up some soda ash from BRS buy and figure that will be a good start.

as you go along the chemistry aspect will come into play more. Just get your basics down and thats a great foundation.

All I know is today can't be over fast enough. My weekend starts at 530 today and I wanna tinker with my fish.

About the dosing, I am really getting ahead of my self. Sweety pie needs to tell me what she wants in the tank so I can figure out what I need to do to make it thrive.

rdnelson99 said:
I may be a little late to the party here but, going back to the chemistry issues, IMHO the best course of action is no course of action if possible. I am brand new and may have gotten extremely lucky but I have not dosed a single thing and my water has been stellar. I expect that there will be a time when things go a bit haywire but mama nature is much better at adjusting things then we are. When something gets a bit off, give it some time to see if it straightens itself out before reaching for the chemicals. Anytime you dose for one thing you are messing with all the others. Just my opinion but.....

That's true an usually I do not mess around too much. But a pH of 7.4 just can not be ignored. That's a big issue for me

coffeetwitch said:
Why? 15+ words and or numbers

Because the pH in saltwater is around 7.8-8.3, reef has a pH of around 8.2ish. With 7.4 my corals are gonna die. Yes it is cycling right now, but I have to lower the amount of protons (aka H+) later on anyways to have a stable pH of 8.2ish
7.4 is too acidic for corals to survive in. Period
For example: my Xenias stop pulsing when ph gets 8.0 and turns grey-ish at 7.8
Xenia is a hardy coral... SPS is super sensitive, imagine what would happen
That's why I get worried

Kk. That's a lot better answer than I've given to some of the stuff I do.

How much does cycling a tank affect pH? I'm asking because Idk and would like to.

coffeetwitch said:
Kk. That's a lot better answer than I've given to some of the stuff I do.

How much does cycling a tank affect pH? I'm asking because Idk and would like to.

Well... In my case obviously a lot LOL
Some ppl seam to not be affected. When u cycled, did u not check ur pH?!
The guide I'm using actually stresses the fact that pH will get affected, so I guess it's my own fault I didn't notice it earlier >.<

The fish less cycle I read did have a trouble shooting section and it did mention a stall because of pH. Water changes was the remedy.

I never really bothered to check pH on my tanks while cycling because I felt like they where not stalling out. I have a jurnal of 3 tanks cycling on my other computer that crashed. ( maybe the ram gave out. Long story short that mother board is sata and the one I have now is IDE so it's not like I can just pull and swap)

coffeetwitch said:
The fish less cycle I read did have a trouble shooting section and it did mention a stall because of pH. Water changes was the remedy.

Yep, another reason why I need to get it up... Wonder if a bubbler would help with gas exchange... ... ... ?!?!

Back
Top Bottom