freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally wouldn't. According to the picture it does not have individual reflectors! Without the reflectors you are losing a lot of light whig makes eve the best bulb useless.

i think someone just bought some of those recently, wish I could remember the thread.....I think mr x looked at them at I believe he gave a partial thumbs up. You would have to for sure change the bulbs and there is no glass between the bulbs and the water surface just so you know. They would have to be hung a decent distance from the water unless you run with a closed top.

I've actually got one of those Chinese light fixtures over my cichlid tank. The ones I've got are by a brand called Odyssea. The bulbs were kinda crappy, so I went ahead and replaced two of them (it's a 4 light fixture).

I've had it for about a month, and so far, no complaints. I've got no idea how good they'd be for corals though. The bulbs aren't being used to grow anything in my cichlid tank...

One thing to take into consideration though: if you've got an issue with the fixture down the road, there's no guarantee that the company will still be around, and I've got no idea how well they'd honor a warrantee.

Actually odyssea has come along way. I had one fixture as well, a quad t5 setup and never had an issue with them they grew my corals just fine in my 29g. They've been around a couple years. :)

The fixtures he's thinking of are the hydroponic ones correct?

I was thinking maybe getting the 8 bulb and put it 8" above the top. Too far? Lighting is one of those things that I'm REALY lost on.

The odyssea's arent as bad as people say, at least in my ecxperience with them. They weren't individually reflected bulbs but I was still able to keep almost any coral and a nem at the time. You just have to be careful of coral placement. I also only had a 29g tank so I got decent coverage.

I'm not so sure about the metal halides they make though. they used to catch on fire from reports but that was a while ago and people say it's fixed now. A few people on here have bought them (mh) and had mixed results form what I've read. some have had bad ballasts from the start others not too thrilled with the quality.

If I needed a cheap fixture I would consider them, in my opinion anyways.

Is this for this tank, the 75g or the 40g? If for the 75g I probably would pass as their 4 bulbs wont get you the coverage you need.

Can you hang fixtures or do you run covered top? Cause the hydroponic fixtures would probably be a better bet, even though you'd need new bulbs most likely. I am/was/still considering them for my 90g build. I was gonna just sit them on the glass covers i will be using. BUT 6-8 bulbs would be way overkill for my FOWLR so i'm still undecided.
lol

Yeah it's for the 75 mixed reef. I can hang the fixture if need be. It is an open top.

I've heard about the mh catching fire too but I do believe they fixed that.

In my opinion I don't think I would run the hydroponic lights as they don't have an acrylic shield or glass covering the bulbs, I would be far too worried about water splashing. Unless if course you can rig up a cover for the bulbs. ;-)

I heard the mh were fixed as well, at least as far as catching fire. lol there's still been some members who have had issues with them and some who just love them. But only time will tell for sure. I wouldn't cross them off your list though completely, it might still be an option. If only they made a 6 bulb unit lol.....cause thats what I would put over it if I could.

carey said:
In my opinion I don't think I would run the hydroponic lights as they don't have an acrylic shield or glass covering the bulbs, I would be far too worried about water splashing. Unless if course you can rig up a cover for the bulbs. ;-)

I heard the mh were fixed as well, at least as far as catching fire. lol there's still been some members who have had issues with them and some who just love them. But only time will tell for sure. I wouldn't cross them off your list though completely, it might still be an option. If only they made a 6 bulb unit lol.....cause thats what I would put over it if I could.

Your last sentence was very helpful.

I whole heartily recommend u get a skimmer... You will be in aw as to how much junk it pulls out of ur tank...

coffeetwitch said:
yes sir!!! ive got to wait until this friday to make it happen. i also want to get a hob for my 40g.

I've cleaned the collector twice already... Imma let it run for a couple of weeks and try a tang again... But I'm buying it from LA...

what about an angel?

ive also read that you may want to raise the cup or what ever about the skimmer so that you dont actually collect stuff while it breaks in... im sure youve read plenty by now about the skimmer. so ill refrain with my ignorance of it all.

do you have a tang in mind?

coffeetwitch said:
what about an angel?

ive also read that you may want to raise the cup or what ever about the skimmer so that you dont actually collect stuff while it breaks in... im sure youve read plenty by now about the skimmer. so ill refrain with my ignorance of it all.

do you have a tang in mind?

No, not a lot known about the skimmer... Raise the cup? As in take it off??? No angel with the clam and corals I want. And probably a two spotted bristle tooth tang... Seems more active.

i dont know about the skimmer, maybe something to do with the gate valve? ive just read that to break in a skimmer you want to let it run without collecting much of anything. idk hopefully someone with actual experience can chime in, other wise disregard my last two posts?

im looking up the tang.

coffeetwitch said:
i dont know about the skimmer, maybe something to do with the gate valve? ive just read that to break in a skimmer you want to let it run without collecting much of anything. idk hopefully someone with actual experience can chime in, other wise disregard my last two posts?

im looking up the tang.

Looked up the break in... Basically can't fine tune it just yet. Takes a couple hours up to a week to get it really broken in and fine tuning can start...

Back
Top Bottom