freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol... What? (15 letters)

telling me not to overkill, that seems to be what i do.

Caulupera for example does, when nit taken care of right or when growing too much, release spores into the water. It turns ur entire tank green and kills stuff

I think he is talking about sexual reproduction. That is when the algae releases a bunch of spores and they put a lot of bad things into you water.

i will not add caulupera then. see that makes it easy.

coffeetwitch said:
telling me not to overkill, that seems to be what i do.

i will not add caulupera then. see that makes it easy.

Calupera has the beat reputation for filtration though. I MAY add it in a year or so when I feel more comfortable and the tank is more mature

@Green: it's a she LOL figured the pic is a dead give-away... Unless I look man-ly (an d nobody told me) O.O

Unicorn said:
Calupera has the beat reputation for filtration though. I MAY add it in a year or so when I feel more comfortable and the tank is more mature

@Green: it's a she LOL figured the pic is a dead give-away... Unless I look man-ly (an d nobody told me) O.O

I like Calupera, eats trates. It only gets sexual if it can't grow. Just tear a lil off and ur good, pass the tear off to a fellow hobbyists... Lol

Greenturtle said:
Sorry, I almost never look at usernames when I answer questions :/ didn't mean to offend you.

Don't worry about it, was just teasing ;)

dont worry greenturtle. im not offended.

ha this is what the 2nd time you have been assumed to be a boy unicorn.
at least that ive read.

i did some more playing around with my pvc overflow today while i had daylight. i have gone as far as cutting it apart and trying a couple different configurations and then using 3" pipe as the water inlet all the way down to the first "u". i tried moving the spillway that goes down to the sump all the way up to the top. so far the way i had it does the best job.

i used a different water sorce than the outside hose and the kitchen faucet. still used the outside hose but this time i used the washing machine spigot for extra water flow. i did some rough math and i can easily flow 786gph through this thing using those two hoses. then when i took the in tank down spout off to try another configuration. it not only continued to flow the two hoses but sucked the water level that was in the trashcan down to new level of the inlet. that was 786 gph flow from the hoses then an extra capacity of a 12" drop of a standard walmart 13 gallon white trashcan in a few seconds. a few seconds to drain what, 3-4 extra gallons?

now all ive got to do is put this thing back together. and paint. i am very pleased with this.

now i just hope that it performs equally well hanging on the tank as it did this afternoon.

coffeetwitch said:
i did some more playing around with my pvc overflow today while i had daylight. i have gone as far as cutting it apart and trying a couple different configurations and then using 3" pipe as the water inlet all the way down to the first "u". i tried moving the spillway that goes down to the sump all the way up to the top. so far the way i had it does the best job.

i used a different water sorce than the outside hose and the kitchen faucet. still used the outside hose but this time i used the washing machine spigot for extra water flow. i did some rough math and i can easily flow 786gph through this thing using those two hoses. then when i took the in tank down spout off to try another configuration. it not only continued to flow the two hoses but sucked the water level that was in the trashcan down to new level of the inlet. that was 786 gph flow from the hoses then an extra capacity of a 12" drop of a standard walmart 13 gallon white trashcan in a few seconds. a few seconds to drain what, 3-4 extra gallons?

now all ive got to do is put this thing back together. and paint. i am very pleased with this.

now i just hope that it performs equally well hanging on the tank as it did this afternoon.

Things are coming along, good job! I've never seen anybody being so specific with their built LOL dont think I could have done that. Hope it will all fall to place.

The scariest moment for me was that moment of truth! That one second were you flick that on-switch and the plumbing is doing it's magic... I was scared poop-less LOL

coffeetwitch said:
ha this is what the 2nd time you have been assumed to be a boy unicorn.
at least that ive read
I know right!!! I don't really mind, but it's funny none the less ;)
But I do the same thing, so I'm not really offended by it

It's funny though: most of my friends are guys, and I'm not really a tomboy either. I'm just a girly-girl interested in boy-stuff (except for cars/motorcycles and sports)... So hope my kids are gonna be boys hahaha we can go fishing, do DIY stuff, play video games and then grill outside :D perfect

I try to be specific. I know I can't be the only person out there that is looking for hard information. As suggested, once I get this thing up and running imma do a "quick" write up on this **** DIY PVC overflow. At least then a person won't have to read through as many pages of MY silliness just to find out it wasn't the info they where looking for.

could you imagine reading 180+ pages to build it.... lol im sure you did!!!

I know when i was looking at designing my sump i probably saw 100 different designs with several or more pages each.

kurtyboh said:
could you imagine reading 180+ pages to build it.... lol im sure you did!!!

I know when i was looking at designing my sump i probably saw 100 different designs with several or more pages each.

Same here! And I read for months and months. After a while information not only gets conflicting, some is outright wrong. Worst part was the DSB were at the end all I could do is just doing it and figuring it out for myself

Yep same here. And when it came down to it was easy and simple. Conflicting information is another reason I'm trying to be specific.

Well I'm really looking forward to your article! Hope the test on your dt will go well

k so i was messing around with my sump tonight, just filling it with water and checking how my seals where holding (very well i might add) and i look up and just watched the dt then looking at my flow from the power heads. ive got coralline on the base of my power head. just a dot but its there. isnt that exciting? no? well thats all ive got to report.

coffeetwitch said:
k so i was messing around with my sump tonight, just filling it with water and checking how my seals where holding (very well i might add) and i look up and just watched the dt then looking at my flow from the power heads. ive got coralline on the base of my power head. just a dot but its there. isnt that exciting? no? well thats all ive got to report.

Lol yea I noticed a little smudge of of coralline on one of my non-coralline rocks and it made me all happy too. Though I have a feeling that soon enough we'll be overrun with the stuff.

It's funny how we get so excited about these little things when we're first starting off. Two weeks ago when I saw that I actually had a hitchhiking hermit I was thrilled lol

coffeetwitch said:

I love this lol may me laugh

Back
Top Bottom