Friend or Foe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craigj247

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I just notices something growing in my tank and I have no idea what it is.

Unfortunately it is top small to gets picture so I will try and describe it best as I can.

It is very small white to transparent veins growing from the sand up the glass and off those veins are short tentacles pretty far apart with 3 arms like on them... They are pretty flexible and sway in the water current.

Any idea what this could be and is it harmful to my tank environment?

Hydra!!!

I don't have any personal experience but have been doing quite a bit of reading something about they sting fish and creatures but something eats them....ASSASIN SNAILS other snails too i guess. My perspective is from freshwater. My take on what I read was they are bad and somewhat hard to get rid of but can be controlled. They eat microscopic things and water fleas Daphnia, they suggest removing them but individually broken pieces can make more of them... OR three spot Gouramis, mollies and pond snails will eat them according to Shirlie Sharpe at about dot com also removal of item it is on and bleaching or removal of your aquatic life and heating tank up, I've seen different temps 104-108 F degrees??? Please learn more about these options before trying any!!!

Hey autumnsky thanks a lot for the help... Going to meet a marine biologist today with a sample of it to see what it is exactly and get his opinion as to how u should proceed... Will keep you guys updated....

Back
Top Bottom