Frogs in a 5.5 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 5.5 gallon tank with one betta. I used to have a pleco in there but moved him into a bigger tank when he got older. My betta is alone and is much less active now that he's by himself. Would it be cruel to get a frog or two in such a small tank? Any other suggestions for small tank mates? Nothing too colorful or the betta will pick a fight :/

You could probably add a african dwarf frog, or maybe some shrimp or snails? If you're interested?

A Pygmy gourami may be another option but you would have to check on that

gouramis and bettas generally aren't a good idea together. the tank size would be fine for an aquatic dwarf frog, but i don't see it getting a proper diet with the betta in there. if you could get another 5 gallon and train the frog to spot feed first, it would work out much better imo. you should also have a plan if your betta picks on the frog too much.

Yeah they have african dwarf frogs at my local fish store, I love those. Not really sure about shrimp or snails but I'll look at some. Thanks! Do you think I could have two?

gouramis and bettas generally aren't a good idea together. the tank size would be fine for an aquatic dwarf frog, but i don't see it getting a proper diet with the betta in there. if you could get another 5 gallon and train the frog to spot feed first, it would work out much better imo. you should also have a plan if your betta picks on the frog too much.

Well I also have a 29 gal community tank that I could move the frog into if it got picked on too much (with rasboras, tetras, loaches and a pleco). What do frogs normally eat? Why do you think there would be so much competition for food? I don't know anything about aquatic frogs so I want to learn as much as possible before buying one.

with aquatic dwarf frogs, you want to keep them in a tank 12 inches tall or less. ie 5.5, 10, 20 long, 33 long. your stock in the 29 also seems like it would be much harder to feed the frog, than if it were with the betta. the higher the tank, the more work it takes for them to take a breath and that can put stress on them. african dwarf frogs should be fed pellets made for them and frozen foods. as i just said in another thread, the main reason i advise against them in communities is that flake food can cause intestinal blockage so you have to keep it spot fed to not eat any flake food. they are easily outcompeted for food, because they cant see very well and they aren't very fast.

The frog will only eat food that sinks to the bottom so frozen blood worms would be a good bet

Hmm...I just thought of another issue if they have bad eyesight. My 5.5 has no artificial lighting. I have huge windows that face the tank and get a lot of sunlight during the day but I get up for work and feed the fish before the sun comes up (in the winter) and the night-time feeding can be pretty dark (also in winter; in summer, the sun is usually up at both feedings). I could get blood worms, do you think he'd find them once the sun comes up?

You definitely do not want to have your tank in the direct light of a window. And I'm pretty sure the frog can find the food

1-2 frogs plus the betta are fine, I've done this setup before and had happy frogs and betta. Live plants and frequent water changes will be the deciding factor on whether you can have 1 or 2 frogs, as smaller tanks can get out of whack pretty quick unless they're understocked.

Frogs find their food by smell, not by eyesight, so the lighting shouldn't cause an issue in that regard. You'll still want to spot feed them via tweezers or a turkey baster to make sure they're getting fed. Bettas can be VERY persistent about stealing the frog's food otherwise, especially if you're feeding yummy frozen food. Distract the betta with food first, then spot feed the frog for best results.

I believe the main concern with tanks in direct light of a window is that it can cause widely varying temperature swings. Ever sit in your car in direct sunlight on a day that otherwise feels perfect temp? The glass focuses the heat on you and you can quickly get uncomfortable. As soon as you get out of the direct sun, you feel back to normal. Imagine that effect in a tank on inhabitants that aren't used to temperature swings!

1-2 frogs plus the betta are fine, I've done this setup before and had happy frogs and betta. Live plants and frequent water changes will be the deciding factor on whether you can have 1 or 2 frogs, as smaller tanks can get out of whack pretty quick unless they're understocked.

Frogs find their food by smell, not by eyesight, so the lighting shouldn't cause an issue in that regard. You'll still want to spot feed them via tweezers or a turkey baster to make sure they're getting fed. Bettas can be VERY persistent about stealing the frog's food otherwise, especially if you're feeding yummy frozen food. Distract the betta with food first, then spot feed the frog for best results.

I believe the main concern with tanks in direct light of a window is that it can cause widely varying temperature swings. Ever sit in your car in direct sunlight on a day that otherwise feels perfect temp? The glass focuses the heat on you and you can quickly get uncomfortable. As soon as you get out of the direct sun, you feel back to normal. Imagine that effect in a tank on inhabitants that aren't used to temperature swings!

Oh ok, that makes sense. I have heaters and thermometers in both tanks so I can tell what temp the water is but I've never compared afternoon vs evening or anything like that, it just always appears to be the same whenever I check it. I'll definitely keep an eye on the temperature though, I had no idea! As for water conditions in the small tank, I have two bamboo plants and two banana plants, both thriving, and I do a 50% water change once a week. If I do get frogs, I will get one first and watch him eat and learn how to feed him and then get another once I've mastered it :) Thanks!

Oh ok, that makes sense. I have heaters and thermometers in both tanks so I can tell what temp the water is but I've never compared afternoon vs evening or anything like that, it just always appears to be the same whenever I check it. I'll definitely keep an eye on the temperature though, I had no idea! As for water conditions in the small tank, I have two bamboo plants and two banana plants, both thriving, and I do a 50% water change once a week. If I do get frogs, I will get one first and watch him eat and learn how to feed him and then get another once I've mastered it :) Thanks!

what kind of heater do you have? the best heaters for your situation, are ones that you can set a specific temp and it will keep it at that temp. if you don't have one of those heaters, i suggest getting one

what kind of heater do you have? the best heaters for your situation, are ones that you can set a specific temp and it will keep it at that temp. if you don't have one of those heaters, i suggest getting one

I have a Marina 25W Mini heater that keeps the tank at 75 degrees all the time. It lets you pick what temp you want and (knock on wood) has never failed me. I love these heaters I have a bigger one in my bigger tank.

I have a Marina 25W Mini heater that keeps the tank at 75 degrees all the time. It lets you pick what temp you want and (knock on wood) has never failed me. I love these heaters I have a bigger one in my bigger tank.

then you shouldn't have a problem with the sun making sudden changes in water temperature. your heater will just kick itself off, and i highly doubt the sun will heat it higher than what your setting is. this may be a different case in the summer, though, depending on your ambient room temperature. just for a future reference :)

I have this set up but in a 10g. When I first got my frogs I'd put their food in the same corner of the tank and now they hang around there when its near feed time :) a mix of frozen food and pellets is what I feed mine. I feed the betta first then the frogs. Never had a problem and like I've said on previous posts, 2 of my adfs are mating as I type. Everyday for the past 3 days they have been at it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good to hear! I was a little intimidated about the labor-intensive feeding that everyone is describing but I think I will just get over it and feed them with the turkey baster in the same place every day and hopefully they will eventually learn to wait there for the food! I also looked at getting some shrimp over the weekend but I can't quite get over how much they look like bugs lol

Back
Top Bottom