Frogs in a 5.5 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive never fed with turky baster. Ive got 4 adfs and had 2 a few years ago. Just always put the sinking pellets in the same corner. They will find them and learn. Im not a fan of shrimp either :/

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IMO A betta alone will stock a 5 gal tank. Frogs should be kept at the very least in pairs, but a trio (1:M 2:F) or more is best, and a couple frogs alone is borderline overstocked. I suggest 10 gal minimum for ADF's.

I have too many times seen or heard about bettas aggression toward the frogs or vise versa to consider mixing the two species a good idea. My frogs have all but swallowed eachothers limbs during feeding time, and I can't imagine seeing a betta with all that finnage getting involved in that!

ADF's have very poor vision and have a difficult time competing for food with fish. For this reason I recommend keeping them in a species tank. If you do keep the frogs with any tankmates it's best to target feed them. I would do this by dropping the food right on their nose with a turkey baster. It's not a question of them being able to find the food, it's a question of them finding it before the fish does, which IME will not happen.

IMO A betta alone will stock a 5 gal tank. Frogs should be kept at the very least in pairs, but a trio (1:M 2:F) or more is best, and a couple frogs alone is borderline overstocked. I suggest 10 gal minimum for ADF's.

I have too many times seen or heard about bettas aggression toward the frogs or vise versa to consider mixing the two species a good idea. My frogs have all but swallowed eachothers limbs during feeding time, and I can't imagine seeing a betta with all that finnage getting involved in that!

ADF's have very poor vision and have a difficult time competing for food with fish. For this reason I recommend keeping them in a species tank. If you do keep the frogs with any tankmates it's best to target feed them. I would do this by dropping the food right on their nose with a turkey baster. It's not a question of them being able to find the food, it's a question of them finding it before the fish does, which IME will not happen.

Hmm ok. I definitely don't want (or have room for) an all frog tank and I don't want them to get aggressive. I had one in the 5 gallon a year or two ago with a large goldfish, before I knew what overstocked meant, and the goldfish kept trying to eat the frog. The frog died of stress :( I would like to avoid that scenario again. Would shrimp work? I want something that swims around a lot (so not a snail) because the betta seems happier when there is some movement in the tank.

I've yet to have any luck with male bettas and shrimp, however I have had a couple females that did fine with them. In a larger community tank with more hiding places the chances are better, but in close quarters like this the betta will have a pretty easy time hunting the shrimps down. I would do a trial run with a couple cheap ghost shrimp before anything more spendy.

I had an adf, a betta, and a snail in a 3.75 g plastic tank with no filtration. This was before I new better, but they were all happy in there together. In fact, the betta died when I moved him to the larger, filtered tank I have now.
Eta: the adf actually seemed depressed after the betta died. She now has a new adf buddy and is a happy frog in her new tank :)
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had an adf, a betta, and a snail in a 3.75 g plastic tank with no filtration. This was before I new better, but they were all happy in there together. In fact, the betta died when I moved him to the larger, filtered tank I have now.
Eta: the adf actually seemed depressed after the betta died. She now has a new adf buddy and is a happy frog in her new tank :)

Well that's good to hear, not that your betta died obviously, but that you had them together and they were friends. Did you have to do any special feeding for the frog like mentioned in the previous comments?

I had frog pellets and bottom feeder wafers on occasion...

Back
Top Bottom