Frogspawn branch deteriorating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Winter-huntsman

Aquarium Advice Freak
So came home today, and noticed some algae around the frogspawn so I got my tooth brush out and started scraping. When I acidentaly knocked it over and saw that the main stem was shrinking. I don't know it it's because the stem is mainly under rocks or something else. The color is normal, and it open as usual I'm running tests now.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471813468.737824.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471813622.055811.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471813631.602893.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1. Type & how long you have had it: about 3 weeks and the colors are always normal green.

2. Current lighting & Bulb Age: don't know am page but it's 2 and a half years old

3. Nitrate: 0

4. Calcium:don't have tester

5. Phosphate: don't have tester

6. Alkalinity: don't have a way to test

7. pH:8-8.2

8. Salinity: 1.030

9. Temperature: 78

10. Liquid or strip test kits:api master test kit

11. Location in tank:middle

12. Current amount of flow: medium to low

13. Current tank dosing regimen: what ever this means

14. Nearby coral: acan but on other side of the rock

15. Explanation of problem: some thing seems to be eating at the skeleton of my frogspawn. Not the top part but the stem that the original large one was fragged from.

After testing I see that the ph is high I don't know what it means or how I lower it if need be. I moved the frogspawn to a spot with higher flow to see if that helps or anything. If worst cast since it's just affecting the area under the tops could I cut the tops off and place the together some where ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471815275.116472.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471815288.455792.jpg

The stem is basically rock. That is what dead coral is. There is no living tissue on that area of these branching corals. What you scraped away was loose.

Oh I did not scrape any of it way but it was rubbing on the rocks for a couple of weeks so I guess that would be the cause. Should I just cut off the dead stems and place the 2 heads on a nice rock?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok, also is it odd that my frog spawn likes my female clownfish hosting it?

1.030 is a little high you should be working on about 1.025
that could also affect your coral and fish
every-time my clowns host torch , frog spawn , hammers ect they killed them

Ok I'll lower the salinity. My frog spawn is happy with the clowns, it turns a nice shade of green and inflates fully around them.

So the deterioration has stopped I guess it was just dead skeleton breaking off. I think the skeleton on my acan is growing as well it seems to be curving out and everything is happy. Just out of curiosity what would cause the break down of a corals skeleton.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You scrubbed at it with a toothbrush if I remember correctly. I accidentally break my hammer all the time from picking algae growth off of it. Just because it is rock doesn't mean it isn't also brittle.

Ok. Also I did not scrub it it bumped into when cleaning a rock near by. Everything is fine right now. Is there anything I can add to the tank to have the skeleton build up for more coral to grow on my acan

Keeping the levels of calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium balanced in your tank will ensure your coral skeletons grow. This can be accomplished by keeping up with your weekly water changes.

Back
Top Bottom