Fruit Fly Feeding media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nautilus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think about starting a fruit fly culture. The DYI media recipe is listing instant potatoes mixed with fruit pectin, corn flour, sugar, yeast and cider vinegar diluted with water 50/50. What if to use some fruit juice instead of water for additional vitamins and minerals content? Did anyone try that? Thanks for your opinion.

Nautilus....

It isn't necessary to add fruit juice to the mixture listed above. When I was teaching Molecular Biology (and Genetics) I always had dozens, if not hundreds, of fruit fly cultures so I do have a bit of experience with Drosophila :) One thing that you have to keep in mind, however, is that DIY media are susceptible to the growth of bacteria and occasionally mites so you should subculture your flies frequently (every two weeks or so). It might be easier, if you can find it, to purchase one of the commercially-available fruit fly media which generally come in dry form (simply add water) and are very easy to use. Carolina Biological Supply sells one called 4-24 which I had excellent results with.

Hope this helps a bit

-Joe

Doctor "Fruitbat",
Thanks a lot! Your reply definitely helps, and it was so prompt! :D I am going to see if I can find the commercial media in PETCO or our LFS. Is commercial one contains the nutrients and vitamins our fish need to receive in flies? And does it last longer than 2 weeks without replacing?

All of the media will last more than two weeks but it is a good idea to subculture (to set up a new container with fresh media and transfer some of the flies to the new container) frequently. This ensures that you have a vital colony going at all times with plenty of fresh food for the developing larvae.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom