Lisa's Cycling Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your fine, Lisa! Your first set of bacteria are doing great but your second set just are not up to speed yet. The second set typically take twice as long as the first set to develop. Skip the ammonia today & we will see how things look tomorrow! :)

here are my numbers today..something interesting is happening my nitrates are alot higher today...high ph-8.2(down slightly from yesterday)..ammonia-0...nitrite-2.0(down from 5.0 yesterday)...nitrates-40.0(wayyy up from 5.0 yesterday)...should i add ammonia tday?? thanks in advance and hope you had a great memorial day!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
here are my numbers today..something interesting is happening my nitrates are alot higher today...high ph-8.2(down slightly from yesterday)..ammonia-0...nitrite-2.0(down from 5.0 yesterday)...nitrates-40.0(wayyy up from 5.0 yesterday)...should i add ammonia tday?? thanks in advance and hope you had a great memorial day!!!!

Thats great news, Lisa! Your nitrites dropped & your nitrates are increasing! If you havent added amm yet, skip it for one more day. If you did add it, no big deal! As long as your numbers continue to steadily progress, you will be done soon! Keep us posted! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i have not added anything so ill let you know tomorrow....:D

omg im sooo excited...here are my numbers today..hi ph-8.2...ammonia-0...nitrite-0...nitrates-40, maybe 80, the colors are close together...now should i add ammonia?? i feel im closer to having fish woooohooo

omg im soo excited about getting fish i cant believe it..im getting a rainbow shark...i need some advise on an algae eater...what and how many should i get..i have a 15 gal tank...thank you so much for helping me thru this fishless cycle..i would have gave up without your help!!!!

Thats great, Lisa! Ok, your not quite there yet but almost!! Use the calculator I posted and add exactly 2ppm of ammonia. Let us know how things look tomorrow! We can then work over the next few days on increasing your ammonia doses a bit until your tank is processing 4ppm. Your just about there!

Ok, in respect to stocking, please post a stocking help thread in the 'Getting Started' section for advice. I am not sure if a rainbow shark is suitable for a 15g or not because my experience is limited to coldwater fish (and cycling). This way, while your tank finishes up, you can plan your fish with the help from other members on here. :)

omg im soo excited about getting fish i cant believe it..im getting a rainbow shark...i need some advise on an algae eater...what and how many should i get..i have a 15 gal tank...thank you so much for helping me thru this fishless cycle..i would have gave up without your help!!!!

Your cycle looks good! Sorry but a 15 gal is way too small for any shark. Are there any other fish you are interested in?

ok, here are my numbers today and im alittle discouraged as i thought my nitrites would be 0 but they werent...ph-8.4...ammonia-0(after 2ppm yesterday)...nitrites-5.0...nitrates-80(maybe 40, the colors are so close)...should i hold off on ammonia today or no?

hey i tested today and i was late due to a 24 hr shift so i usually test in the morning but didnt get to until now...but they seem good to me..ph-8.4...ammonia-0...nitrites-0...nitrates- between 40 and 20(slightly lower than yesterday) so i should add ammonia again today right? but then by morning, like lets say 10a, is that going to be too soon for a test?

hey i tested today and i was late due to a 24 hr shift so i usually test in the morning but didnt get to until now...but they seem good to me..ph-8.4...ammonia-0...nitrites-0...nitrates- between 40 and 20(slightly lower than yesterday) so i should add ammonia again today right? but then by morning, like lets say 10a, is that going to be too soon for a test?

Hi Lisa! Yes, add ammonia again. If you can use the calculator, figure out the dose for 2.5ppm ammonia. We can start to work on increasing it as long as your tank continues to zero out amm/nitrite. You can test in the morning, but dont expect to see all zeroes (amm may be zeroed but not likely nitrites). Let us know how things look tomorrow afternoon/evening! :)

ok i found it...my numbers are...ammonia-0...nitrites-5.0...nitrates-over 80...ph-8.4...skip ammonia today right?

Hi! Yep, skip the ammonia & lets wait for your nitrites to drop. When was the last time you did a water change?

Thanks! Lets see if the nitrites drop in another 24hrs. It may be time for a water change but lets wait & see what tomorrow brings! :)

ok but just so you know that i have to go to work at 10a tomorrow and wont be home til noon sunday so when i test tomorrow and my nitrites are 0 i should add more ammonia right? but if i still have a high nitrite hold off on the ammonia? thanks, i was worried when they closed our thread..thought i was on my own..whew

Yep! They should be zero by tomorrow. We can wait til sun when you have more free time if a water change needs to be done- no rush right now. :)

hi-when i got home today i checked the numbers and were as i expected ammonia -0 nitrites-0..nitrates-40-80...i know you were talking about a water change but im too tired so i added ammonia to 2ppm and ill see about that change tomorrow...i hope thats ok

Back
Top Bottom