Lisa's Cycling Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
good morning!! so yesterday i added ammonia to 2pm at 1p and now i checked my numbers at 930a and they are ph-8.4...ammonia-0...nitrites-.25...nitrates-80...it seems im getting closer to fish uh?? YAY

o my gosh it finally happened...my ammonia and nitrites are 0 after adding 2ppm yesterday...my nitrates are as high as they have ever been at over 80, but not quite 160, but close...so, a water change is in the cards today im assuming...then how long before i can get fish???

Almost there! No water change yet! Ok, so you only added 2ppm yesterday? Increase the dose to 2.5ppm today. We need to work now on gradually increasing your ammonia dose until your tank is handling 4ppm. It should only take a couple of days. Heres the calculator in case you dont have it bookmarked.

Calculator

hello my ammonia tester(api master kit) does not have a 2.5..it goes 2.0 to 4.0 and the colors are already close to the same (green) so when you advise 2.5 thats impossible for me to get that close...please advise

hello my ammonia tester(api master kit) does not have a 2.5..it goes 2.0 to 4.0 and the colors are already close to the same (green) so when you advise 2.5 thats impossible for me to get that close...please advise

That's ok, try to get it to 3.

I know the API test does not have colors to match for 2.5 or 3ppm. If you use the ammonia calculator I posted, you can plug your tank size, % of ammonia and desired 'ppm'- which in your case is 2.5 (or 3) ppm. The calculator will give you the exact dose to reach this level.

good morning...my numbers this morning are..ph-8.4...ammonia-0...nitrites-2.0...nitrates-80

hello...my numbers look good i think...ph-same..ammonia-0....nitrites-0...nitrates-80...today i have a busy day so right now im going to dose ammonia to 4ppm and see what happens tomorrow...i hope thats ok..

one more question...when you do a large water change...what is the best way to match the water temp of the water you are putting back in???

Keep us posted! Dont be surprised if you see ammonia & nitrite tomorrow because you doubled the amm dose from 2 to 4ppm. The most accurate way to temperature match is to use a thermometer (most lfs have them for a couple of dollars). Otherwise, using your hand to gauge the temp is accurate within a few degrees. :)

ok thanks...what if tomorrow, my ammonia and nitrites are 0...do i do a water change? im alittle confused with whats next?

if your amm/nitrite are zero, you need to continue to dose for another couple of days to make sure your tank is stable. We will see how things look tomorrow! :)

good morning..my numbers are ammonia-0...nitrites-0...nitrates-80...high ph-8.2(drop slightly)...i will wait for your response before i do anything today...yesterday i dosed ammonia to 4ppm...thanks

Thats great, Lisa! Dose to 4ppm again & let us know how things look tomorrow! Another 2-3 days of steady zeroes & you can prep your tank for fish! :)

numbers are good..everything is 0 except for niteates-80 adding ammonia probably wont post til monday

Back
Top Bottom