full house but shrimp are mia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonibelle

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have completed my 30 bowfront tank family. I have:
4 Agassizii Corys
6 Black Phantom Tetras
2 German Blue Rams
The tank is planted with African Water Fern, Java Fern, Green Sword, Red Flame Sword and a ball of moss??:cool: I have drift wood (ancient pieces from my old tank with well anchored African fern). I have been doing water changes every 3 days (approx 20%) to try to get my ph to drop from 7.2 to around 6.8. I am trying to accomplish the ph change by using RO water....
When I started populating this tank, I added 6 Cherry Red shrimp. They seemed to love the driftwood and all the plants and I added that moss ball for them..day by day they seemed to disappear. So today I returned to my fish store to ask what could have happened to them because I don't see shells or bodies or anything?? The young man there told me that they are mostly nocturnal and are probably hiding. Does that sound right?:facepalm: There are plenty of places for them to hide, but I can't believe that they could have all gone "underground"!! Any thoughts?:(

I have 3 cherry shrimp in a ten gallon tank. I occasionally catch a glimpse of them every so often. They seem to enjoy hanging out in the midst of the sword plants with the corys.

thank you, so maybe they he is right and they are hiding. They do have tons of places to hide, but the first few days after I got them, I saw them hanging out on the driftwood and walking up the plant stalks..I'll keep looking

Mine seem to go in spurts--I won't see them for a few weeks, then they'll all 3 be out and about on driftwood, in the anubias, and in the hornwort. Never sure what spurs the change in behavior.

Rams will actively hunt and eat rcs. Keeping them very well fed might stave off this behavior some, but it's asking them to act outside of their nature.

And no, rcs are not nocturnal, but they do stay hidden when there's a threat in the area.

My amanos are like that as well, and they are pretty huge compared to red cherrys. I go days without seeing them, then all 5 just pop out of nowhere.

I sure hope they weren't dinner for the rams!! I have been feeding brine shrimp and blood worms along with occasional flakes so they shouldn't be hungry. And the shrimp were pretty good size . I guess I shouldn't have added the rams.
:( I think I may want to do just a tank of shrimp.

So I just bought the shrimp a 10 gallon of their own. I did see one this morning when the tank was still dark. Not sure how I will get them out without destroying my plants, but I will cycle the new tank and try my luck at catching them. :)

Back
Top Bottom