Fullborni has a mouthfull of eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moved to cichlid forum.

What other fish are in the tank? Do you know how long she has been holding? Most cichlids will hold for 20-28 days approximately.

Your options are to leave her in the tank and she will spit the fry, you run the risk of the fry being eaten.
If you want to save the fry, I'd recommend setting her up in her own QT tank and when she spits remove her back to the main tank.
You can strip her of the fry if you want, I don't usually bother as I have never had a problem with my cichlids spitting their fry on their own.
I don't have this particular species of cichlid but have many other mouthbrooding cichlids, and when trying to save the fry I remove the mom to another tank until she spits.

all kinds of mbuna including aggressive ones such as auratus and elongatus. I just noticed that she had a mouth full of eggs today. So how do i set up another tank so that it works well. I have an extra heater, and filter. What should I buy. Please help i want as many of the fry to survive as possible.

You have time by the sounds of it. Couple of ways to set up a QT tank. You can get a 10 gal tank ( I recommend used) or a clean unused rubbermaid container. The tank will have a light with it most likely so a better choice IMO. Take some filter media from your exsisting tank and put it in the new filter, or run the new filter on the tank for a week to 2 weeks. Move mom over as soon as you can get the filters cycled. You should have 2-3 weeks depending on when the actual spawn occured. Keep the temps at 78-80 in the QT tank and when mom spits, feed her and put her back in the main tank. Feed the fry well crushed flake food and keep an eye on the parameters in the small tank. Doing water changes with cichlid fry is not a problem. They aren't as small as egg layer fry are.

I have a female A. hansbaenchi in a 2ft 20gal aquarium by herself.... and some M. johannll fry. I run an air-driven sponge

As mentioned you could probably get away with a 10 gal cycled tank and then drop her straight in.

I reckon that observing the full fish life-cycle is fascinating so I make an effort to save fry when I can. Who know's you mught just get a cracking speciment from the babies.

So I stripped my female Fuellborni today and the fry still had a large eggsack on there bellies. So i let left them alone and low and behold she sccoped them back up. I think I am going to give her 5 days before I try again.

Yes she wasn't ready. Good thing she grabbed them back up. Try being patient and allowing her to spit. She will know when is good to release them.

Back
Top Bottom