Fungus on Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperGirl117

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a few questions about Fungus.

1. How do I know its healing? He is "shedding" but I am not sure it is healing.

2. Have no measurements. Bought him on a whim and can only find half of the freshwater kit and have no vials. Needless to say he is getting 25% water changes everyday since children managed to dump the whole bottle of fish food in tank.

3. I Brought him sick. I knew what I was getting into. I had melafix and a filter and tank and decorations I didn't realize that I didn't have all my freshwater kit. Must have lost during the countless moves.

4. Friday I can get a heater and kit. Until then salting the tank is not an option.

5. Put jungle brand fungus clear in two days ago and he seems to be perking up. Can't say it is working but it isn't making it worse. I need him to hold out till friday. Can't afford heater and kit and salt till payday.

Everything online says it will go away but nothing in signs of healing. I need to know if the "shedding" is good or bad.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The clear water is the day I got him and the green water is today. I don't have any clearer before pictures sorry.

Attachments

• 1441581923814.jpg
    1441581923814.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 1441581978593.jpg
    1441581978593.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 52
This is a just now picture and its hard since the water is so murky and he is starting to feel better hopefully. But I have been giving him melafix as well because the fungus looks like it is on the wound.

Attachments

• 1441582155226.jpg
    1441582155226.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 48
I really appreciate the help lol

I think you are on the right track with the jungle fungus cure, me and a moderator are doing research to see how effective it really is on fungus (Furan is an oldschool primarly gram positive antibiotic, with a anti-fungal chemicals thrown in)
Fungus only develops on wounds and dead tissue. This is something significant that you just learned from me, that ALOT of people don't know, even some breeders. Fungus only attacks dead tissue, or a wound where the fish slime coat is weak. For fungus your options are really limited, with Furan-2, Methylene Blue, and a couple others like Potassium Pomeragate or formalin, but those are pretty hard chemicals that you probably don't want to mess with. So your choice for the fungus cure (furan) was a pretty decent choice. All I can say is keep the water warm and do lots of partial water changes to help him heal. Use the furan-2 as directed.

He is on his second dose of the fungus clear. Its healing but it taking a while. Here are some pictures of it now.

I am also doing 20% or two gallons of the 10 gallon water change a day. The clearer the water gets the better he acts. I am not sure of I will doing another dose of the stuff even if it hasn't gone away completely.

The first time I gave it to him he started slowing down and immediately freaked me out. I took out 2 gallons and replaced with new water. I am not sure if he was about to die or what but I stayed up for a while to keep an eye on him.

I have only had him for a week and with the medicine and him acclimating I am gonna back off after I clean the tank. By the time my tank runs clear I am 85% sure the fungus will be gone. The Maracyn 2 will be looked at in the store but if it going to be anything to intense (like directly putting it on him) I am gonna give him a break. The move may be making this hard on him as well so now that the immediate danger is gone I am gonna see if he can beat the rest of it on his own.

Attachments

• 1441934593982.jpg
    1441934593982.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 1441934610990.jpg
    1441934610990.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 46
Furan 2 not Maracyn 2. My bad.

Fungus cure, what your using, is Furan 2.
Look at the back of the package, nitrofurazone plus some additional chemicals for fungus.

Will it mess with my parameter readings?

FINALLY got my test kit

This is what I got.

There is no cartridge in my filter since it said it would kill all my bacteria so my tank is basically uncycled now?

I can either clean it out completely and put the filter back in the filter and not give him anymore medicine or leave him in there with bad readings? I still haven't done his water changes, I am having my half an hour kid free time.

Attachments

• 1442026114683.jpg
    1442026114683.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 45
This is after a water change. So tomorrow I am going to do a water change and stick my filter insert back in and see if the water quality will get better and help him.

I also bought a plant just to see if I can keep it alive. So that will be getting put in tomorrow too

Attachments

• 1442029305853.jpg
    1442029305853.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 38
Just did a 50% change and no change in ammonia. So tomorrow since it is too late now I will be cleaning out the tank and putting the filter back in. His shedding pieces are everywhere and I can't vacuum them up fast enough.

So if it helps at all. What I would do differently next time is completely clean out the tank between doses. The fungus clear from what I understand voids any good bacteria out so it isn't turning into nitrate or nitrite. He isn't going to heal completely and quickly if I can't keep his tank clean of his shredded pieces.

Which seems like common sense now lol.

Its not letting me take the picture but my ammonia is still 2

I was not aware that furan destroyed good bacteria. What does the back of the box say for active ingredients? If you gotta recycle with fish in you can use prime or something the like to help them thru.. And do daily 50% water changes without fail.

It won't let me upload anymore pictures but it says in the directions to remove the carbon from the filter.

Nitrofurozone and potassium dichromate.

I looked at the reviews and that's where it said that it kills the bacteria and it will kill the snail

Removing the carbon is to not take the medicine out of the water. That is what carbon does. Furan should not hurt your Benifical Bacteria. Furan-2 Bacterial Fish Medication, Bacterial Fungus Fish Medications for Sale Online | PetSolutions
I have a feeling that your tank is not cycled, or is going thru a mini cycle. Only thing you can do is daily 50% water changes until its cycled, and use a product that makes ammonia and NItrite less harmful, such as Prime, ammo lock, or amquel +
As for the "fungus" on his body, it really is secondary to some kind of bacteria or parasite that breaks the slime coat, or like a wound. Fungus only eats dead tissue, it should not just grow on a healthy fish. A video might work, upload it to youtube if you want...I know pictures on this site don't even show up when people upload them half the time. lol

It was a wound. Like a gash right behind his head.

It is definitely cycling again whatever is happening. I had that tank set up but I moved everything into my 5 gallon before putting him in. I had 2 filters on it hoping I could cheat and have a super small cycle when I got the glofish. (Wanted to put it in the kids room as a nightlight. They sleep better when they can watch the fish) I hadn't had it running on the new tank since I was planning to do the Glofish in December. So he was a complete impulse buy. I had to buy gravel decor etc. Now I have to buy another tank for the glofish since they obviously won't go together.

But anyways it is basically starting at ground zero. I am debating on switching bettas and putting the recovering Betta in the cycled tank. But yeah for now its water change craziness.

Ya, sounds good. if you do 50% water changes every day for 7-10 days, and use prime and some kind of Stress Zyme product, you can fish in cycle a tank with about any fish. The taking the filter thing from one tank Ofc will cycle it instantly. I don't like to use gravel, it gets dirty after awhile...even with vacuuming. If I did I would use it on big tanks only and with UG filters

Back
Top Bottom